Looking for a great Dandelion Wine Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bottled my first dandelion wine so no recipe help from me.
However, I just did my 10th flower wine and I can share a couple of my preferences. I would go heavy on the flowers. I really liked my flower wines that were fermented with the petals. And so far I really like 71B for yeast.
Do a search, lots of dandelion suggestions here.

I just bottled my first dandelion wine so no recipe help from me.
However, I just did my 10th flower wine and I can share a couple of my preferences. I would go heavy on the flowers. I really liked my flower wines that were fermented with the petals. And so far I really like 71B for yeast.
Do a search, lots of dandelion suggestions here.
Thank you, I will. :))

How long did it take to first racking? Did you rack it just once? What color bottles did you use?
It went from 1.085 to 1.020 in 4 days and then I transferred it to secondary. (Strained with brew bag.) My first actual racking was going into bulk. From that point on the lees were very fine so I didn't rack again until I was getting ready to bottle. And since my wine is stored in the basement (in the dark) I use clear bottles for most of my wines.

There was a lot of prep work as I recall and I'll be skipping it this year. I'm lucky to have other flowers that are SO much easier to collect. To give you an idea, my honeysuckle, magnolia, and redbud were collected by taking 3 steps or less.

Good luck!

Does anyone have a dandelion wine recipe that they really love?
Dandelion Wine

Dandelion Wine, However, you enjoy it is up to you but enjoy it you will so here we go.

Dandelion Wine 5 Dry Qts. - Or any container with the capacity to hold 24 oz water will have the same volume and work just fine. -Dandelion Petals pressed down lightly. (if weighing them 9 to 10 oz per gallon)

2-pound golden raisins,

5 Oranges, 5 lemons washed, zested and fruit only, No Pith!

A large ginger root peeled and grated, 5 Tea bags brewed in 2 cups of water for 15 to 25 minutes, make it strong (you want the tannin)

12 pounds of white sugar.

I suggest that you purchase the following from a Wine Supply or Brew Store.

1 packet Champagne Yeast, Campden Tablets either (sodium or potassium metabisulphite), and Yeast Nutrient and clearing agent such a sparkaliod hot mix works excellent which will be used in several months.

Bring to boil the flower petals in 8 qts of water then simmer for 20 minutes and allow to cool then Saving the liquid strain thru colander and press liquid from blossoms with a strong spoon. Discard blossoms or dry further on towel and use for Dandelion fritters.

Add liquid to fermentation vessel along with sugar, crush any additive tablets and add. Add 65 to 70 degree water until you have reached the 5 gallon mark. If you have a Hydrometer your specific Gravity reading should be around 1.115 with a potential alcohol of 15% - less sugar, less alcohol more sugar more alcohol but don't be tempted to go to high as this can lead to stuck fermentation that is why I use Champagne yeast it is very tolerant and will ferment up to 18%.

But going too high will lead to off flavors and overworked yeast which I can explain how to overcome in another video. The Champagne yeast almost always ferments out dry and you may want to sweeten it back later on, place in secondary fermenter. After 3 weeks remove all fruit and strain thru colander and cheese cloth.

Then rack of sediment in 6 weeks repeat until clear around 4-5 months then enjoy. Use Sparkolloid clarifier after second racking in secondary fermenter for a crystal clear wine.

You may want to sweeten it back to your taste I find using my Hydrometer if I sweeten to 1.005 to 1.010 you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in sweetness the choice is yours.

If you sweeten you will need to add Potassium Sorbate as a preservative to stop any re-fermentation. Also add one crushed vitamin C tablet (ascorbic acid) to each bottle to preserve color and freshness at bottling.

Latest posts

Back