Burdock and Dandelion wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to dig up two burdock plants that were growing in one of my garden beds. Naturally, I wondered if I could use them to make wine. I found this:
https://prepperswill.com/how-to-make-dandelion-and-burdock-wine/
I don't think I have enough dandelions to try this, but for those of you who do, look for burdock on your property. Burdock is used in Japanese cooking: Burdock Root Recipe. It also has a long history of use as a medicinal plant.

Just found this: Dandelion and burdock - Wikipedia Dandelion and burdock were used in the Middle Ages to make a light mead! Not surprising, since many herbal meads started out as medicinal beverages.

I found a recipe here: Dandelion and Burdock Mead - Foragable Unlike the wine recipe above, this uses both burdock and dandelion roots rather than dandelion petals.

I had to dig up two burdock plants that were growing in one of my garden beds. Naturally, I wondered if I could use them to make wine. I found this:
https://prepperswill.com/how-to-make-dandelion-and-burdock-wine/
I don't think I have enough dandelions to try this, but for those of you who do, look for burdock on your property. Burdock is used in Japanese cooking: Burdock Root Recipe. It also has a long history of use as a medicinal plant.
I haven't noticed this on the property yet, otherwise....

Found multiple variations in my older books. Some recipes use the roots, some use leaves and burrs. So what are you making?

We used to get Dandelion & Burdock pop, what you call soda in the USA, when I was a boy. It had a marble in the neck of the bottle to seal it, and you had to punch it down to release the pop. It was dark brown colour, the nearest taste I can think of is Cola. I don't know if it's available now.

Here endeth the history lesson! :D

We used to get Dandelion & Burdock pop, what you call soda in the USA, when I was a boy.
"Soda" or "pop" are both used in the USA -- it depends on region.

Many moons ago one of my roommates was from Miami FL, and everything there was "coke", as in "I'll have a coke." "What flavor?" "Orange."

I haven't noticed this on the property yet, otherwise....

Found multiple variations in my older books. Some recipes use the roots, some use leaves and burrs. So what are you making?
The ones that I pulled up will probably be used in stir fry. But I have quite a few others on the property, so I will eventually try them in a wine or mead. Right now I am too busy getting the garden planted.

@BigDaveK, you are a corrupting influence! Keep up the good work! :r

Here's information on the plant. I know it grows in NY, wasn't sure about NC. Looks like it does.

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/arctium-lappa/
Just sharing the fun I'm having. If it becomes contagious, good.

OH, so that's what burdock looks like! I saw the 2nd year plants last year and thought it was some kind of thistle. (Thistle wine is way down the list.) Pulled some first year growth from the garden last week but fortunately I found more on the property today. I'll be watching it and looking for more.

The ones that I pulled up will probably be used in stir fry. But I have quite a few others on the property, so I will eventually try them in a wine or mead. Right now I am too busy getting the garden planted.
Thanks for posting this thread! Now that I know what burdock looks like, and found some growing, I hope to try it some time this year.

"Soda" or "pop" are both used in the USA -- it depends on region.

Many moons ago one of my roommates was from Miami FL, and everything there was "coke", as in "I'll have a coke." "What flavor?" "Orange."
Language is funny. I grew up in Glasgow and all flavored sodas were called "lemonade" - so you could by a cola lemonade and a ginger lemonade , American cream soda lemonade.. We never drank squeezed lemons with added water and sugar, so I never realized until I was very much older that lemonade was made with lemons.

Latest posts

Back