Dandelion wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done several versions of dandelion. Many of them turned out to taste like yellow raisin wine or orange/ lemon wine. ,,, Dandelion is easy to mask. ,,, My favorite was on the web at that time by EC Kraus, I call it “All Chemicals“ wine without masking flavors.
https://homebrewing.org/pages/dandelion-wine-recipe
At this point I would not use DAP yeast nutrient but would use organic nitrogen Ex Fermaid O. Since this is not filled by raisins or white grape juice the organic nitrogen should be doubled to a treatment of 3gm per gallon at start and at 1/3 sugar reduction.
on mine I used a 16oz cottage cheese carton full of dandelion yellow petals, ,,which was 350gm.

I have done several versions of dandelion. Many of them turned out to taste like yellow raisin wine or orange/ lemon wine. ,,, Dandelion is easy to mask. ,,, My favorite was on the web at that time by EC Kraus, I call it “All Chemicals“ wine without masking flavors.
https://homebrewing.org/pages/dandelion-wine-recipe
At this point I would not use DAP yeast nutrient but would use organic nitrogen Ex Fermaid O. Since this is not filled by raisins or white grape juice the organic nitrogen should be doubled to a treatment of 3gm per gallon at start and at 1/3 sugar reduction.
on mine I used a 16oz cottage cheese carton full of dandelion yellow petals, ,,which was 350gm.
This is interesting and as I'm still a newbie seems complicated, but maybe not if I try it. Are you saying that you only used a 16 ounce container of flower heads/petals? That seems like a small amount to make 5 gallons. Thank you for providing this info.

View attachment 54731
I would toss anything which is sour, the flavor is delicate.
My dandelion (200gm/ 5ml water) is sitting in a plastic carton after being heat “blanched” in the microwave for about 3 minutes total (as I added to the batch), I will probably add more this morning. My experience is it doesn’t stop metabolizing in the fridge or freezer, , , it has to be heat treated at which point you can freeze it indefinitely.

when I first did dandelion I pulled petals till bed time and put in the fridge. They appear to be metabolically active since that batch turned into whispy seeds over night, with a somewhat cardboardy taste,,, that batch got tossed. Next day after work, same but went in freezer, again whispy seeds.
Since then have heat treated (pasteurized) every batch before stopping for the day. Fridge or freeze holds it till everything is ready.

Pretty sure that was for a gallon. And all the recipes I have looked at say to use just the petals. That has stopped me from trying it. Think it would be a long day pulling and seperating all the petals. Arne.

Pretty sure that was for a gallon. And all the recipes I have looked at say to use just the petals. That has stopped me from trying it. Think it would be a long day pulling and seperating all the petals. Arne.
It is really not that bad, but you need to be ready for a couple hours of picking dandelions and pulling heads. You cna grab the petals and separate them from the greens in one pinch.

Some people just pull the stem, I only used petals though.

Rice_Guy said:
View attachment 54731
I would toss anything which is sour, the flavor is delicate.

The reason I didn't share my recipe, which I believe may have been from the purple wine recipe book at all LHBS's, or an online search, is because I made this mistake.

The recipe called for 2 oranges. I wasn't thinking. I just grabbed 2 giant oranges at the store. It was the predominant flavor at first and it has blended, but I have no idea where the orange finishes and the dandelion begins.

This year I intend to try again, but IF I use oranges it will likely be a single, SMALL mandarin or clementine, but likely I will forego citrus all together as suggested by @Rice_Guy

I decided I wouldn't do a dandelion this year because of the work. That was the plan.

Nothing in primary, this morning I see a boatload of dandelions, some of them massive. Change in plans.

I think it was @VinesnBines last year who suggested using scissors to snip off the end of the dandelion. It does speed things up.

Last year I used 3 quarts (for 1 gallon) and I think I'll bump that up a little.

Can you use anything besides a microwave to treat it? (I try not to use a microwave on food.)
Yes, basically wet heat is wet heat whether from a microwave or even an old wood fired cook stove. Do not use dry heat as toaster or oven or fry pan.
If I was setting up in the pilot plant I would heat steamer up, or a home version would be heat a covered kettle/ double boiler to a rolling boil > with neopreme gloves/ or tongs put the container of petals in the live steam for a minute > cover and cool. ,,, This turns out to be a ten or fifteen minute process, ,, and steam has safety issues as get the neoprene gloves out, so I encourage the lazy way.

Easiest approach is to use scissors and cut the petals where they are surrounded by the green (not sure what the correct botanical name is for that green cover, but think it's the involucre). Basically, you are left with only the petals. I generally use about a packed gallon bag for each gallon of wine. The secret is never to macerate the petals for longer than about 48 hours.

Yes, basically wet heat is wet heat whether from a microwave or even an old wood fired cook stove. Do not use dry heat as toaster or oven or fry pan.
If I was setting up in the pilot plant I would heat steamer up, or a home version would be heat a covered kettle/ double boiler to a rolling boil > with neopreme gloves/ or tongs put the container of petals in the live steam for a minute > cover and cool. ,,, This turns out to be a ten or fifteen minute process, ,, and steam has safety issues as get the neoprene gloves out, so I encourage the lazy way.
I have an old wood fired cookstove. Thanks for offering alternatives for us old fogeys.

Latest posts

Back