WineXpert Lodi Ranch Cabernet Sauvignion, Single Staging and Oak Options...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch

That sounds exactly how I lost a carboy of strawberry wine last spring. Just as I was setting it down, it slipped from my grip and hit the floor. Your description of a tsunami is very accurate. Mine went off on the dining room floor. Oh yes, no more wine making in the house after that.

Since this incident, I no longer lower my carboys all the way to the floor. I have several cinder blocks that I use. Having them just a few more inches off the ground helps a good bit. I also dry the bottom of the carboy before moving.

I still can recall my wife after the accident. She was freaking over the accident, but she loved the smell of the strawberry wine that she encouraged me to go right out to get more strawberries. She said it smelled so good she wanted to suck it out of the towels we were using to wipe up the mess. Fortunately for me, the SG was real low. It did a great job cleaning the floor. Hey, they have those orange cleaners, how about a strawberry cleaner.

Sorry about your loss. Just get back in the saddle and ride on.

Paul

If you make some really nice kits to save for 18 months or more, then immediately make some of the smaller, less expensive kits. The lesser kits tend to be ready to drink much sooner, like 3 months or less. You can polish them off and maybe stay out of your better wines until they are ready.

Also, some of the sweet mist kits or summer wine kits make great porch-pounders, which are ready to drink as soon as they clear. I make them every year and love them.

Patience, patience, patience!

I still can recall my wife after the accident. She was freaking over the accident, but she loved the smell of the strawberry wine that she encouraged me to go right out to get more strawberries. She said it smelled so good she wanted to suck it out of the towels we were using to wipe up the mess. Fortunately for me, the SG was real low. It did a great job cleaning the floor. Hey, they have those orange cleaners, how about a strawberry cleaner.

Paul

You are a lucky man to have a wife like that. Kelly was pretty calm over the matter, I must say that I was impressed. My kit was still grape juice and I think that it made more of a mess than actually clean. The basement still has a smell to it. Good thing winter is approaching or I would be overrun by ants.

My replacement kit arrives tomorrow!

I have a few extra carboys if you are need more. Includes airlocks and neck handles for more grip. $20 each or 3 for $50. I get up to halifax every once in a while so I could drop off as long as you are not way out in the sticks

Send me a pm if interested.

Cheers

You know, the funny thing is that I sold off a bunch of extra carboys about a month ago. I will let you know if I need another one. I have to take stock once I get my basement back in order.

Robie, I guess the question is, "How long to carboys last and should they be replaced after a certain amount of time?"

I have clanked a few together too and I have been lucky. Four years into the hobby and this was my first loss.

Glass carboys will break eventually. I have many (6) that are in excess of 10 years old and many hundreds of gallons behind them. One tiny chip or crack, and it's a ticking time bomb though.

Very sorry for your loss.

Latest posts

Back