Lets Make Me a Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
OK, I have this 9 lbs of honey I got from the guy Waldo posted about a while back. I want to do some type of Melomel Mead. I was thinking blueberry. I want to make one that is fruit forward in flavor and has a sweeter finish. I figure this 9 lbs would make a 3 gallon batch.

I have only made the Joe M's Ancient Mead so this will be a new experience for me. I would like to use my steam juicer to juice the fruit instead of fermenting the fruit in the bucket. I am open to other fruits as well such as raspberry and have even wondered what a cantaloupe mead would be like. Guess I really want to make some type of cantaloupe wine still.

So to all of you that have made mead, how about some tips, suggestions, advice, recipes, comments, etc. Thanks for taking the time to help me out here and why not make this a group project with some discussion and see what we can develop together. As always I value the opinions and experience from the winemakers here. Let's have some fun.

Melons are a very hard fruit to use as they go bad easy and using it on a mead is even riskier but would be really nice if it came through. If you do use them I suggest using ascorbic acid instead of k-meta and getting it going as soon as possible instead of having to wait a day with the k-meta. The ascorbic acid will also help it from browning. Good luck.

Edited by: wade

Smurfe I like your first though of a blueberry. The blueberry has a good pronounced but yet subtle flavor, but I think would let some honey come through. I think raspbarry would overpower it and the melon would be too weak. I also think if you could get a small handful of fresh black currants, it would add a little more interest without overpowering the blueberry and honey. Maybe if you had a bottle of black currant, you could try just a little at the end experimenting with a blend. That way if it was perfect with just the blueberry you could leave well enough alone, but if just a little light, add a flavor punch with the Black Currant.

I made a Blurberry that turned our pretty dang good smurfe. It is one of the wines i am bringing to Winestock

Judging from that post there might not be any left!
4_1_72.gif

I am leaning toward the blueberry and am sure that is what I want to do. What do you think about juicing the berries with the steam juicer?

Excellent choice, in my humble opinion.
smiley20.gif

Oh yes......What did you think about the quality of thehoney smurfe?Edited by: Waldo

I try a cranberry mead this weekend, it is on "to do list" now. The high acid in the cranberry really compliment the mead. Edited by: Angell Wine

Waldo said:
Excellent choice, in my humble opinion.
smiley20.gif

Oh yes......What did you think about the quality of thehoney smurfe?

Waldo, I haven't opened any to taste yet.

Have you tried the Knudsen pure juices, smurfe? I made a gallon of cherry pomegranate wine.....it was very flavorful but tart. I bet the honey would smooth it out. I want to experiment with more meads myself. If my dad will ever stop procrastinating and send me some honey from his bees.

Ramona

Waldo said:
I made a Blurberry that turned our pretty dang good smurfe. It is one of the wines i am bringing to Winestock

Maybe I will wait until after Winestock and try a taste of Waldo's Blueberry Mead to see if it suits my taste. I have a pretty strong feeling it will though.

Back