Lees stirring durig MLF in pinot noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byrondahl

Junior
Reaction score
Concerned about stirring light lees during MLF in my Pinot noir. I don,t want to beat up the Pinot, but I'm afraid to stir 3-4 times per week during MLF as I would with my other wines. I do understand the benefits of lees stirring, just worried about the Pinot.

Lees stirring during MLF in Pinot Noir

I usually stir the light lees of my wines 3-4 times per week during MLF. My concern is that amount of lees stirring of my Pinot during MLF will beat up the wine. Any thoughts?

byrondahl said:
I usually stir the light lees of my wines 3-4 times per week during MLF. My concern is that amount of lees stirring of my Pinot during MLF will beat up the wine. Any thoughts?

It's a valid concern I would drop your stirring to twice a week and when you do stir, do it just to move around some sediment, not to the level you would to degas. Just be gentle and create as few bubbles as possible.

I agree with shoelesst---MLB doesn't like lots of oxygenation and you can stall it out doing that. Stir very gently and only twice a week.

I prefer a gentle rocking motion of the carboy or container when possible. It moves the light lees/food yet does not stir it up a lot.

Latest posts

Back