To rack or not to rack (a question of 'when')

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungsBlock19

Junior
Reaction score
I'm reading conflicting information about the timing of the first racking. Some say after completion of primary fermentation, 4 days or so after pressing. Others say let the wine stay on the gross lees during MLF with bi-monthly stirrings, racking after 8 or so months, that there are beneficial nutrients in the lees that will feed the ML bacteria. What say you? What's your experience?

Thanks

I’ve never heard of primary going 8 months. The gross lees surely would start to rot before then. I think the gross lees give up their sugars and flavors quite quickly, maybe you could run that out to a month, but you’re flirting with disaster, IMO.

The yeast don’t read the rules.

Generally get rid of gross lees in a week time frame. Fine lees in a month, ,,, but one of the neighbors with roots in Italy made “ORANGE WINE” using a white grape and kept it on the lees for two years. It’s a good wine.

The yeast don’t read the rules, they are good for starting out before you ask “what if?” or have a few experiences as the wife has decided you are going to Florida for winter. Running the pilot plant the best learning was second and third shift when none of the VPs were there. , ,,,,, ie there is always more than one way.

First let's clarify: there is a primary "fermentation vessel" and a secondary "fermentation vessel". It's the same fermentation but with different containers.

My procedure: when the SG of my primary container is in the neighborhood of 1.020 I strain it with a brew bag getting rid of most of the solid crap and transfer to the secondary vessel with an airlock. When fermentation stops, 1-4 weeks, I will do my first actual racking. The wine is still going to drop sediment so I don't care if I pick up a little bit of the lees at this point.

Yes, conflicting information abounds. With more experience you'll figure out what works best for you.

Back