Labels that peel off easily?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
I usually use the labels supplied with my kits and only a few batches of those have been a hassle to peel off. I tried using Avery shipping labels but they don't come off cleanly all the time. Is there a brand (printable or pre-printed) that come off easily without soaking?

Geronimo said:
I usually use the labels supplied with my kits and only a few batches of those have been a hassle to peel off. I tried using Avery shipping labels but they don't come off cleanly all the time. Is there a brand (printable or pre-printed) that come off easily without soaking?

I use shrink foils on the neck of the bottles. I write on the foils.

My bottles only get labels on giveaways.

Avery does make "removable" labels that peel off cleanly. Check Amazon for the difference sizes available. You may also wish to look at blank label stock from online labels dot com. I have switched over to them. I have found that if the label is warm it peels off easier than if cold so it helps to either soak in warm water first or hit it with a heat gun.

Thanks for the tips about the new removable Avery and Post-it labels. The same size costs about the same on Amazon.

I've gotten some pre printed labels from Midwest they peel right off no soaking. :h

Not sure if this is in line with what you are looking for. I print my own labels on standard paper, then use a spray glue/adhesive from Wal-Mart or any other store, to put them on. They remove very easy.

What brand of adhesive? The stuff I know of, I think it's 3M 77 or something like that, it's like contact cement.

Avery shipping labels are a real pain to remove. Someone else suggested these post-it labels (sorry, I can't remember who - apologize for not giving credit where it's due). I just got some and they seem to work really well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K9O11I/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Greg thats only in the Dakotas they come off hard. I found a 10-15 minute soak in hot water with oxy-clean and they come right off.

You might say easy to come off is relative. Most of us are comparing the ease of taking them off compared to commercial labels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. My first post here, so excuse me if this has been discussed before. I have found a very easy way to remove stubborn non-water based glue labels-original or aftermarket. Fill the bottle with nearly boiling water and wait a few minutes. Pull up an edge of the label with a razor blade and pull it slowly with your fingers. The heat softens the glue and the label will peel off cleanly. If any glue remains, i clean it with a small dab of glass stove top cleaner on a blue scotch brite pad.

Jcag I agree with you and that is basically what I do, just not that hot of water. Another point is when using a razor blade, work around the bottle instead of up and down as your blade will sit evenly this way.

Most of the kit labels are designed to peel off pretty easily and cleanly.

I'm trying to imagine how you use the spray. You lay the paper/label down on some newspaper and spray it lightly, then pick up the label and put it on? Interesting.

I go into my basement/laundry room which has a concrete floor. Lay the label on it, spray, and attach. Now that was all fine and dandy until my wife kept getting her socks stuck to the area I was spraying on.
Now, I have a towel I set down on top of the cement, spray label, attach. The towel gets sticky'ish after awhile, but the process works well for me. When the towel gets too messed up, I just pitch
it, and use another.

I had tried to hold the label in my hand and use the adhesive, but too much gets on my hands and then makes it hard to affix the label. The towel setup works great for me now.

I go into my basement/laundry room which has a concrete floor. Lay the label on it, spray, and attach. Now that was all fine and dandy until my wife kept getting her socks stuck to the area I was spraying on.

Ah ha! That's exactly what I was wondering, thanks!

I use heavier plain paper and glue stick. It takes a little longer to apply the labels but they come off clean in a snap. It takes me 15- 20 min to apply 30 labels. On the positive side as well, if your label is a little crooked, it's easy to adjust.

You can find gummed paper (moisten and apply) in 8.5 x 11, print, cut and apply. They come off easily as well. Our local supplier carries that product, but from a cost aspect, it's a bit pricey.

As was already mentioned, removable adhesive labels are available and work well (we provide that on many of our labels). The thing about adhesives (and this goes for almost all adhesives) is that time and temperature play a major role. The longer a label is on a bottle, the more the adhesive will "set". Labels should always be applied to relatively warm bottles (room temperature, but again...that's relative). Then when they are stored cooler, they become harder to get off. The longer they sit, the harder it gets to remove. So heating them to remove is a great idea. We use our heat gun to remove the labels from commercial bottles.

With the removable adhesive, be sure it's a very clean bottle, since anything that compromises the bond can pull up the edges on the label (since it's made to be removable).

grogtag.com havent used them but looks like a cool product and gets good reviews.

k47k said:
grogtag.com havent used them but looks like a cool product and gets good reviews.

Those look nice and are reusable! I like that idea! Thanks for sharing!

I have tried every way that I have read that is posted here.
I dont think there is an easy way. I tried, wd40,bleach,oxiclean,tsp,dawn
gasoline,paint thinner, goof off, glue gone,wire brush,pressure washing,

I put all my bottles in a huge igloo cooler..add water,and soap,and after a few weeks, there done...they just come right off.

Back