Labeling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickallen

Reaction score
Does anyone have any sure fire tried and tested proven ways to label bottles making sure they are all labeled the exact same way

I have observed basically two types of labels on this forum. One is the type that likes to get artistic and change the label for every batch, type of wine, they make. As a result the labels look nothing alike. The other type is to use the same basic label and just change the narrative to descibe the wine in the bottle. I guess if you are not trying to establish some sort of brand recognition then changing the labels is not a problem. I prefer to leave the labels basically the same between the wines except for describing what is in the bottle.

But to answer your question, I read an article a few days ago that told what was "supposed" to be on the label. If I can fine the article I will send it to you.

Thanks for the info but I already have that. I am looking for a system or idea that people have used when applying labels to make sure they are always the same.

Over the years there have been a few people on here that have devised a jig to help the labels be the same on each bottle. If I stumble across one of them, will post back here with it if that is what you are looking for. Arne.

Last edited:
Here's how I do it..

I have a simple labeler I made. Made out of 1/4" luan, 2 rollers from a roller bracket , something like they sell at Harbor Freight, and for cushion on the roller I got an adhesive backed drawer liner...

Here's how it works..

I made a wooden cradle with marks where the bottom of the label goes.

bein_bein said:
Here's how I do it..

I have a simple labeler I made. Made out of 1/4" luan, 2 rollers from a roller bracket , something like they sell at Harbor Freight, and for cushion on the roller I got an adhesive backed drawer liner...

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/bnemo/winestuff/?action=view&current=100_6884.mp4http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/bnemo/winestuff/?action=view&current=100_6884.mp4

Here's how it works..

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/bnemo/winestuff/?action=view&current=100_6884.mp4

Can you send me instructions on how to make one?

My labeling operations are not nearly as sophisticated as some others. In the rare instances that I label bottles, here is what I use; an old miter box. When placed on a bench it tips to one side so the bottle rests there. I use the bottom square cut to align the bottom of my label. The second picture is how I label all of my bottles unless I am giving them away or have a special occasion. Yes, I am lazy.

100_0441.jpg

100_0442.jpg

I basically did the same as Rocky, but used some scrap wood and made a jig that has marks as to where the bottom of the label goes. It works as well for 750ml and 1.5L.

Bottle Labeling Jig (tiny).jpg

I use the old fashion eyeball method of applying labels. It works good enough for me!
dscf0003sw.jpg

Oops! I just noticed the label on the left bottle in the front is slightly higher than the other two. The solution for that is to open the bottle drink the contents and then you will no longer care that it is higher than the other bottles ;)

Can you send me instructions on how to make one?

um...the only place that can be found is inside my head...and trust me, you DO NOT want to go there...
:bt :gb
:db:HB
seewhutimean...lol

I'll take some more pics and get some dims and post a thread on it...

Like Derek, I just eyeball mine. Since all my bottles are not standing up next to each other on a shelf it's not imperative for my labels to be that perfectly lined up. They do end up pretty darn close.

Actually my biggest peeve was getting the darn things straight/ square on the bottle...the was the driving motivation for making my labeler.. :D

Loved the roller jig! Whipped one up this morning. I used foam paint rollers and two cheap roller handles. Got $8 invested. Thanks for the idea!

0105131123a.jpg

Loved the roller jig! Whipped one up this morning. I used foam paint rollers and two cheap roller handles. Got $8 invested. Thanks for the idea!

Nice job. I like the paint roller Idea. I was also kicking around ideas in my head on something other then drawing lines for reference. I like the 'fence' you made. Also the way you have it clamped.

Thanks for sharing.

RR

Like Derek, I just eyeball mine. Since all my bottles are not standing up next to each other on a shelf it's not imperative for my labels to be that perfectly lined up. They do end up pretty darn close.

Ditto to that - I just eyeball it as well. Have to use my 20/10 vision for something constructive :h

Back