Labeling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
REDBOATNY said:
Loved the roller jig! Whipped one up this morning. I used foam paint rollers and two cheap roller handles. Got $8 invested. Thanks for the idea!

Very nice. Are the paint rollers "tacky" enough to grip the paper label and pull it? I would think you would want something like rubber that would not allow the ROLLER (not older) to slide under the paper.

edit: Oops! Roller not older. Stupid autocorrect.

Last edited:
Very nice. Are the paint rollers "tacky" enough to grip the paper label and pull it? I would think you would want something like rubber that would not allow the older to slide under the paper.
I only tried one to test the jig. It was a scrap label with a glue stick. It seemed fine. I will be doing plenty more in a couple weeks using the famous milk glue.

I only tried one to test the jig. It was a scrap label with a glue stick. It seemed fine. I will be doing plenty more in a couple weeks using the famous milk glue.

That's why I went with the hard rollers and shelf liner. The liner is about 1/16th or so thick, so it's just enough to cushion the bottle and grip the label.

Update on the paint roller jig: worked very good, plenty of grip and smoothed out the milk glue nicely. Bottled and labeled 5 gallons Trminette, 5 callons Catawba.

label jig.jpg

what's the "famous" Milk glue.....? Did I miss a thread somewhere?

what's the "famous" Milk glue.....? Did I miss a thread somewhere?

I just use 2% or whole milk and a sponge paint brush. If you have a bottle with a sponge tip, even better. Avoid inkjet labels as they typically run, but never had an issue with laser print. Skim milk does not adhere as well. The label may slip while wet so I rest the bottles flat on a towel or recycled egg crate type foam and run a blow dryer over them to help dry the glue, just takes a minute or two on warm.

If you need a stronger glue, try this:
2 tablespoons water
1 packet unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoons 2% or whole milk

Put the water in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Wait about 5 minutes. Then microwave the milk to nearly boiling and add it to the gelatin. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved. This recipe yields 1/4 cup of glue. Brush it onto the backs of labels while it's still warm and liquid. When it cools to room temperature, it becomes a solid gel. You can heat it for 15 seconds or so to liquify it again. It may need a bit more soaking when time to remove, but it leaves no residue. And there is no need to use harsh solvents to remove either version.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back