Kits versus wine from crushing grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting subject.

I've been making wine for about 5 years. Because of grape availability primarily, this has been from kits. I've used kits from just about every company out there and learned early on to stay with the premium kits.

I observed that virtually every one of the white kits have been good to very good. My wife and I prefer reds, and sadly have not had one red kit I've enjoyed. Most we would not bother to drink even after a couple of years aging. The limited red wine we've made directly from grapes has been very good.

I don't know the reason for this but at this point it's clear my efforts to make a decent red wine from a kit is a waste of time and money. I envy those of you who are successful with your red kits.

A small barrel (23L) works wonders on those reds (kits) but still I agree nothing beats fresh grapes if you can get them.

I started brewing beer just before the craft movement really snowballed. At the time it allowed me to produce something more interesting than I could find in the stores, but mostly it was a hobby that fills my DIY desire, produces something I can enjoy and if I push around some numbers (ignoring equipment costs), I can make it look like I'm saving money. I got into wine when I found juice buckets and could make something my wife would enjoy, using equipment I already had and a better ratio of quality and price in what I was making vs. what we would be buying.

Last edited:
I started brewing beer just before the craft movement really snowballed. At the time it allowed me to produce something more interesting that I could find in the stores, but mostly it was a hobby that fills my DIY desire, produces something I can enjoy and if I push around some numbers (ignoring equipment costs), I can make it look like I'm saving money. I got into wine when I found juice buckets and could make something my wife would enjoy, using equipment I already had and a better ratio of quality and price in what I was making vs. what we would be buying.

Appears we tracked down the same path. I still brew because I actually prefer my beer and enjoy the challenge. Thought I'd do the same by making wine. I mean how hard can it be? I have most of the equipment and I can start with a simple kit... right?? :)

Appears we tracked down the same path. I still brew because I actually prefer my beer and enjoy the challenge. Thought I'd do the same by making wine. I mean how hard can it be? I have most of the equipment and I can start with a simple kit... right?? :)

It works just fine until you decide to make wine from grapes and start buying presses, crusher/destemers and more tanks/carboys because they're going to be tied up for much longer than your beer equipment. Then you have to start hiding equipment costs from your wife again. Altough something tells me she'd be a little more understanding of the wine equipment.

Oh she would. She has no use for my beer but enjoys wine. Truthfully, she hasn't a clue what I've actually spent on this hobby... :i

Oh she would. She has no use for my beer but enjoys wine. Truthfully, she hasn't a clue what I've actually spent on this hobby... :i

That is a good thing !!

I have not made a kit yet - normally just wine juice or grapes

I have the luxury of living close by vineyards affording me the opportunity to get fresh grapes. Many of the vineyards offer on-site crushing and the clubs and friends have presses to borrow. My only problem has been storage. No cave or basement here so I have had to rent space at an air conditioned storage center where I keep my barrels and carboys. It's so hectic in the Fall, but things calm down so much shortly after and I just thought a premium kit might be a nice distraction.

I suppose another strategy might be to concentrate on DRINKING the wine when not so busy MAKING the wine! :)

Thus you can make any type of wine no matter the season or supply of grapes. To me, I feel it sort of defeats the purpose of making wine a bit, but I can certainly understand why they are very popular.

Seth, if making kits "defeats the purpose of making wine a bit" at what point does one have to go be be a real wine maker? Does one also have to grow grapes? And do you have the same approach to cooking?

Seth, if making kits "defeats the purpose of making wine a bit" at what point does one have to go be be a real wine maker? Does one also have to grow grapes? And do you have the same approach to cooking?

I agree that we are all chefs in the kitchen when making wine..... But a chef can only be as good as the product he or she is starting with. I have come to learn that there are two different objectives when selecting a wine process..... Fresh grapes is like playing the game of Curling. The object is to guide and enhance the nature of the force already in progress. When you select a juice from a processed kit or a pail of juice you now use all your spices and creative thinking to make something special. Me..... I enjoy the taste of wine made from fresh high end grapes.

Sam

So, should I stop making wine because varietal grapes are not available in west Georgia?

I make wine all year long! It is called frozen must....

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

GaDawg, I did not mean to marginalize winemakers who make wine from kits. I do not believe that one has to grow one's own grapes, but if available I believe that the winemaker should make every effort to use fresh produce when readily available. If I had a choice between a kit and frozen must I would go for the frozen must year round since I believe that is closer in spirit to the wine making process.

That being said, I have no disrespect for kit winemakers, I just tend to enjoy the extra creativity and freedom that is inherent with starting closer to square 0.

Just curious, what do you mean by if I have the same approach to cooking?

So, should I stop making wine because varietal grapes are not available in west Georgia?

BTW, you can get fresh grapes shipped over from California or Chili during the fall and spring wine harvest. And lets not forget the finger-lakes region either for whites.

But there is also no hiding that kits are very inexpensive. If your budget cannot handle the cost of crushing grapes then kits is a good alternative. Even though the quality is much higher.... It has to be within your means to go down that road.....

Sam

Just curious, what do you mean by if I have the same approach to cooking?

Seth, I make wine from kits. For me, making wine from kits is just as valid as making bread from flour. I do not feel I need to mill grain in order to bake bread, just as I do not feel it is necessary to crush grapes.

I have no doubt your palette is far more developed than my taste. Thankfully I don't have to please anyone but myself. I like what I make and I like making wine from kits (it's like a chemistry set for adults:h), but as you said you believe kits "defeats the purpose of making wine a bit". That is great for you, so I think we will have to disagree about this part of winemaking.

Well also, like I said before I have not problem with Kit winemakers. I should have emphasized perhaps that the reason I really like making wine from grapes and juice is because I really like the things you get to deal with when you start doing that. To me, that is the fun part, not necessarily the final product, but really the stuff that goes into making the wine my own.

Seth, I make wine from kits. For me, making wine from kits is just as valid as making bread from flour. I do not feel I need to mill grain in order to bake bread, just as I do not feel it is necessary to crush grapes.

I have no doubt your palette is far more developed than my taste. Thankfully I don't have to please anyone but myself. I like what I make and I like making wine from kits (it's like a chemistry set for adults:h), but as you said you believe kits "defeats the purpose of making wine a bit". That is great for you, so I think we will have to disagree about this part of winemaking.

Sorry..... Have to disagree. Flour to bread is a terrible comparison to pasteurized kit juice to fresh crushed premium grapes! I can give you the best chef in the world.... But if has has to prepare a meal with tough meat vs. a filet. It will be different! Bottom line I believe it is not about quality. That is a given! It is more about time and money... People will give all the reasons and excuses they want. It is still about time and money.

Sam

When I read the title "Kits versus wine from crushing grapes" I could see it coming. Versus could be interpreted and was probably meant to mean compare and contrast or some such rather than Ali versus Frasier or Batman versus the Riddler.
At least it took a few pages before somebody got their feelings hurt.

Back