Kits versus wine from crushing grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4score

Reaction score
I have a 60-gal barrel of cab franc from a local vineyard that supplies grapes for many Placer County wineries here in northern Cal. I also have 2 carboys of petite syrah from the same vineyard. I bought the grapes and went through the crush and press. It's aging nicely.

I was curious about these "kit" wines. If you have done both, kit and grape crush, how would you compare? I looked on the WineExpert web page and saw some Ultra Premium wines. How good are these? Just looking for some opinions for something to potentially do after this year's crush activity subsides. I'm sure they are good, but interested to know how good. :)

Thanks,
Mark

No comparison. Started with kits the first 1.5 years then tried my first real crush and have gone to fresh grapes 100% for all red wines since then. Still making white wines from kits as there really is not not much difference between the two. Fermenting on 100lbs of skins and seeds vs a 2lb grape pack in a high end kit. Think about it. I like big bold reds that can chew through a steak. Kits have their place. They are fun, easy to do year round, less equipment to buy and don't get me wrong the high end kits are pretty good but I find the outcome and ultimate satisfaction with fresh grapes is exactly what this winemaker is looking for, YMMV as they say.

The first time I did any wine I did 2 juice buckets and had no clue, and a vintners reserve Shiraz kit. The kit was in 2011 and I haven't done another since then. It tasted watered down to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I am currently making everything from either high end kits or juice buckets. For me, they are less work, allow year round wine making, allow me to make varieties that I would not normally be able to make from grapes due to non-availability, require less space, less equipment and the wine is decent.

That being said, I agree with everything that Mike states above (I used to make wine from grapes) and if I had the time, youth, energy, space, money, etc. to make the wine from grapes, I probably would do so.

Thanks guys...that's pretty much what I figured. I just thought the appeal would be in the off-season. I have a few grape crush projects on deck for this Fall!

Hi 4score ,
In the fall you could save some grape skins and freeze it in a freezer bag . Later you could add this to your wine kit .

Other than one attempt (over 20 years ago) at a kit, I make mine 100% from fresh whole grapes. I was surprised, though, when I tasted some of Joeswines sangio. Nice to know that you can get excellent quality wines from kits.

I do like whole fruit. I find that it is much, much cheaper and one has greater control on the resulting wine.

Hi 4score ,
In the fall you could save some grape skins and freeze it in a freezer bag . Later you could add this to your wine kit .

You know, that's a great idea.

My immediate project will be to build some sort of cooled space in my garage. Needs to be big enough to hold a couple barrels and a 30-g flex tank I just bought.

I envy all of you that can buy fresh grape lugs. I need global warming to bump Minnesota up 3+ zones so I can plant some cab!!

I envy all of you that can buy fresh grape lugs. I need global warming to bump Minnesota up 3+ zones so I can plant some cab!!

Where in MN? I can get fresh Cali grapes in southern WI, I would assume you can as well. Talk to your LHBS if you have one, they may bring some in or know of a wholesaler that can. Also winery clubs often do buys in the spring and fall. Lots of options for us Midwesterns.

Good info! I will have to look into this!

Wino: Do the clubs get grapes and crush them? I'd like to to try making a batch from grapes.

Wino: Do the clubs get grapes and crush them? I'd like to to try making a batch from grapes.

I don't think most clubs crush them, you'll need to do that on your own. For smaller batches you can use a potato masher or a sanitized 2x4. Lots of diy ideas out there.

Last edited:
I guess a more interesting question would be a bucket of premium crushed grapes vs fresh grapes.

Hmmmm.... I use both. I believe they are very close to the same.... That said, a bucket of premium frozen crushed must will always be better then a pail of fresh average grapes. But premium fresh has the ability to be better then premium frozen must. People say they use kits so they can make wine all year round. I have no problem making premium wine all year round with using frozen must in the off season!

Sam

I've only used fresh grapes until this summer. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of frozen juice from winegrapesdirect.com. They're not cheap but they're getting super premium fruit from top vineyards. They also gave me a bottle of their Syrah, which was fantastic. I bought their Chardonnay and it's fermenting now. So that's another option.

richmke

We get lugs of grapes in the fall - where we crush them on site and chilean buckets in the spring - not to mention that it is a great party with lots of food and friendship as well.

If interested PM me as we do this all in the far north portion of IL

I always will prefer grapes over juice - but that also determines price and availability -

Back