Kits and Freezing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
Looking at ordering a cheap Fontana kit to do some "Joe tweaks" to and see what I can come up with.
Weather has been averaging between 0 and 20F down here.
My question/concern is how is the juice affected if it gets delivered and has to sit outside for up to 8hrs. before I get home to bring it inside.
I know with finished wine, this can cause issues but wasn't sure with kit juice.
Thanks.

in the mix

Just let. It thaw out. At room temp, màke sure you stir well, ready

Last edited:
Which one are you thinking about getting? What are your plans (ala Joeswine) to modify it? I have a Fontana Shiraz and a Chardonnay. I've been researching and taking notes from Joe in preparation of starting next week.

Which one are you thinking about getting? What are your plans (ala Joeswine) to modify it? I have a Fontana Shiraz and a Chardonnay. I've been researching and taking notes from Joe in preparation of starting next week.

Going to get the Fontana Malbec. Have some Amazon coupons so it will only cost me $2 when said and done. I am going to follow his thread where he tweaked the Malbec.

Just let. It thaw out. At room temp, màke sure you stir well, ready

I haven't ordered it yet Joe, was just curious about the whole situation. I will probably try and wait a week or two and hope that temps. get closer to the 30's....................that may be wishful thinking. :)

I really just wanted to know what affect freezing that juice would have. I supposed I could contact the manufacture and ask too.

Isn't it true as the amount of sugar (Brix) in juice goes up the freezing point goes down because there is less water? Conversely as the alcohol content goes up the freezing point goes down too? I am confused with this chemistry/physics stuff.

Isn't it true as the amount of sugar (Brix) in juice goes up the freezing point goes down because there is less water? Conversely as the alcohol content goes up the freezing point goes down too? I am confused with this chemistry/physics stuff.

You could be correct with your Brix statement, I am not sure of that.

With that said, this kit will not be very high in Brix until chapitalized so I am fairly confident it will freeze sitting in very cold weather for up to 8hrs.

The more water that is removed the higher the brix, the higher the brix, the harder and longer it takes to freeze. At 20F it would take much more than 8 hours to form crystals at 0F you may see some crystal formation but this should not affect the must in any way. Like Joe said just bring it in and let it warm up and you will be good to go. The cheaper low end kits have pretty high brix as they are even more highly concentrated and that is why you have to add so much more water than a high end kit to get to 6G. This of course should make the low end kit even harder to freeze than a high end kit with more water in it.

Hey D.J., if you are waiting for it to warm up, you best wait a couple months instead of a week or two. Nice today, sounds like the weekend is going to be cold. Arne.

Going to get the Fontana Malbec. Have some Amazon coupons so it will only cost me $2 when said and done. I am going to follow his thread where he tweaked the Malbec.

Me too. My kit is sitting here on the floor of my office, I mean my winery...same thing now days! Can't find those zante currants, but I bought a package of dried cherries and they taste really good....hope there are some left for the wine.

This is gonna be fun!

mismost

think again about the malbec taste profile, cherries don't make a good flavor package ,blackberries yes, sun maid puts out zantes currents on the shelve right next to the raisins either would be a better taste partner, think about it first...:ib

think again about the malbec taste profile, cherries don't make a good flavor package ,blackberries yes, sun maid puts out zantes currents on the shelve right next to the raisins either would be a better taste partner, think about it first...:ib

no problem...had to work through lunch...well, lunch was the cherries today! Gotta be in San Antonio tomorrow, I will look for the currents. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back