Kit Wine Taste

Discussion in 'Kit Winemaking' started by facn1989, Apr 10, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jul 30, 2019 #81

ras2018

ras2018

ras2018

Same here. Although, even not using sorbate I still feel there is “kit taste”. I would agree though that this is simply a young un-aged wine as I have made plenty of great tasting wine.

2. Jul 31, 2019 #82

Rocky

Rocky

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member WMT Supporter

I have not used my barrels for quite a while now and I am a little concerned about putting them back into use without some major work on them. But, I have found in the past that aging a kit wine in a barrel for a year or so really improves the product. I am just too old and lazy to do it now.

3. Jul 31, 2019 #83

jbo_c

jbo_c

jbo_c

Yeah. Not the sorbate. I almost never use it and get that bubble-gum/jolly rancher taste to varying degrees in most Kit reds.

It does seem that some people don’t identify it and, so are equally convinced it doesn’t exist as those of us who do taste it are that it does.

I spent a fair amount of time 20 years ago corresponding with the honorable Tim V. About it and his take is that it may be a byproduct of the concentration or pasteurization step that the yeast are unable or not efficient at metabolizing. - and some people are more sensitive to than others.

The problem with using competitions as a barometer is that most scoring regimens are geared toward lack of fault, not simply identifying a unique unqualified attribute. Using the scoring sheets I’ve seen would still rate even the wines I’ve had with heavy kit taste pretty high.

The most effective combatant I’ve identified to combat what I personally identify as ‘that taste’ is degassing WAYYYY over what is otherwise suggested. Many people suggest that bulk aging will degas a wine, but in my experience, that’s not the case with carboys. Barrels are another animal since evaporation will pull a small but consistent vacuum as age time goes on. Age alone doesn’t help. I’ve aged kits as long as 5 years and still had ‘that taste’ be so strong that I poured out the whole batch.

Minimally concentrated kits (larger format) also do seem to have less of it, lending credence to Tim’s hypothesis about it being related to the concentration process.

All that said, I have some very pleasant kits and I have high hopes for future batches.

Jbo

Chuck E and Wayne Freeman like this.
  4. Jul 31, 2019 #84

jsiddall

jsiddall

jsiddall

For me I have found a few "tells" for kits.

Candy/bubble gum is one. I don't generally use sorbate so don't have a lot of experience with it, but I have at least one sorbated kit that didn't have a candy-ish taste so I know it doesn't _always_ cause it.

Most kits I have made, especially the reds, have a strange flavor. In most cases I can't identify a kit's varietals so whatever it is it makes kits taste unlike any other wine. They all sorta taste like blends of something I can't put my finger on. Also, some kits have specific strange flavors. For example, I can pick out some Cellar Craft Showcase kits I made 5 years ago from a single whiff because they have a strange aroma. Early on it was kinda like bananas but has evolved into something less describable.

But even more prevalent seems to be a flavor/aroma I can best describe as "musty". I find it in most kits, including whites. It tends to mute the flavors a bit, but I can pick it out even when it is subtle. I suspect this might be a result of the concentration process.

Anyway, I find using grapes, or fresh pressed white grape juice, tastes so much better that I have stopped making kits. YMMV.

Agree with others that barrel aging definitely improves kits significantly. For the record I use high vacuum to degass all my reds so residual CO2 is not an issue.

5. Aug 1, 2019 #85

bstnh1

bstnh1

bstnh1

I'm sure glad I don't have an uber-sensitive pallet or nose. I can usually smell things that others can't, but I can honestly say I've never detected any unusual odors in a kit wine.

cmason1957 likes this.
  6. Aug 3, 2019 #86

BABRU

BABRU

BABRU

Junior

Same here. No off taste or odor in kits I have made however I generally only make the sweet summer fufu kits for the gals and high end seasonal special edition kits for their unique flavors. Mostly I make wine from juice, Chilean in the spring and California juice in the fall. Here I can get 6 gallon juice buckets for just around $50 each so it is not only makes very good wine but much cheaper than the kits. Just opened a spring 2017 vintage Chilean Zinfandel that was fermented dry, oaked in the primary and bottled in June 2018. It is fantastic! I’ll have to order several buckets of that juice again this spring.