Kit pinot noir 3 mos old.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaitala

Reaction score
My first kit was a Pinot Noir in September. Tasted it after the kit said it was "done". Well, it was some kind of booze, barely resembling wine. Blah, very little in the way of flavor.

I followed the advice here, and bulk aged it 3 mo the. I racked today, adding kmeta and will age again.

I did steal a taster glass. Lol and behold, its starting to resemble a Pinot! Clear, dark ruby, a little jammy. Hint of cherry maybe. Still a little acerbic for my taste. 3 more months and we'll see how she goes!

Also racked off my cranberry relish wine from clarifying. Definitely needs to age. Flat flavor, and overpowering cinnamon. Lets see what 3 months can do for that!20201225_141300.jpg20201225_141343_HDR.jpg

Glad to hear both are coming along!

I have cranberry wine I plan on adding cinnamon at the next racking. How much cinnamon did you use for how many gallons?

nice to see a positive progression. whether kits or grapes , wine is wine and just keeps on getting better.

i once grabbed a 1 gal pinot noir kit from the local shop on impulse. few months in it was kinda meh. kept up on sulfites for the first 6 months or so. eventually i kinda forgot about it since was just a gallon. sat for a year and a half before bottling. by then? completely transformed. was delicious and the best wine i ever made from a kit. better than the more expensive “eclipse or selection” series kits despite it being a mid tier kit. was winexpert world vintner i think.
so the longer you let it go- the better it will be. and Merry Christmas btw!

Glad to hear both are coming along!

I have cranberry wine I plan on adding cinnamon at the next racking. How much cinnamon did you use for how many gallons?

To be honest, after primary ferment, I racked off the lees, then added about a pint and a half of my moms homemade cranberry relish.

Primary was the skeeter pee recipe, but take the total volume of lemon juice, and I replaced it with 1 bottle of lime and the rest cranberry juice. After ferment, it was really blah, and I had this left over cranberry sauce, so why not toss it in for a week? Left it in about a week and a half. Color got better and the spices infused. Racked it off that, then clarified it.

It doesnt really taste like cranberry. I think a flavored syrup might be the ticket for a full on cranberry flavor.

Ok, you got a cinnamony flavor without cinnamon. Wine can do that. And I understand that cranberry can be overwhelmed by other fruit juices easily.

I mixed 8 lbs cranberries with 2 lbs of apples and 2 lbs of raisins. Added 3 gallons of water/cranberry juice. Got 4 gallons of wine clearing from that. I want to give it a slight cinnamon flavor without overwhelming the cranberry. So am thinking of adding 1 cinnamon stick at the next racking.

Ok, you got a cinnamony flavor without cinnamon. Wine can do that. And I understand that cranberry can be overwhelmed by other fruit juices easily.

I mixed 8 lbs cranberries with 2 lbs of apples and 2 lbs of raisins. Added 3 gallons of water/cranberry juice. Got 4 gallons of wine clearing from that. I want to give it a slight cinnamon flavor without overwhelming the cranberry. So am thinking of adding 1 cinnamon stick at the next racking.
There was cinnamon and other spices in the cranberry sauce.

Back