Finer Wine Pinot Noir gone wrong?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_1916.JPG
Apologies if the image is huge, although not a total beginner (am approaching 2000th bottle), have recently tried Finer Wine kits, particularly the Cabernet Sauvignon and the Pinot Noir,
to see what the difference is between Wine Expert and Finer Wines. We really liked the French Cab from WE, NLA now it seems, source now is from California, which is still good.
Back to photo, my second Finer Wines Pinot Noir with 1 grape skin pack has turned out disappointing, the sample in the large glass is the kit apparently ready to bottle, not so, it is still quite cloudy and pale, the small glass in the image is the WE Pinot Noir, good color. Can anyone help with the why this kit has gone wrong? I have made 4 Finer Wine kits including this one, no problems up until now, decided to add grape skins to 1 each of the PN and CabS. The flavor is no right either, no bad odor.
Is it salvageable? Am going to leave it in the carboy to see if it clears, and will rack down again in a few weeks, am still concerned about the color/quality of this 1 FW PN kit.
I understand what is said about the WE having a "kit" flavor, the whites in particular showed this when compared to good store bought. The reds improve over time greatly, there is a marked difference between 3/4 months and 1 or 2 years, we have a few bottles from 2019 left, waiting to be sampled! Have still to taste the difference between the WE and FW after 'proper' aging (6mnths to 1 year+), to be honest, at bottling we have not really noticed a massive difference in taste between the 2 kit types.

I know this is an old thread, but how did this end up turning out?

For reds, especially those with skins, I would age 6 months to a year before I expected to be ready to judge it as good or not. I would also make sure it's clear before bottling, whether that is just time and/or using clearing agents.

Thanks for the replies. Left the FW Pinot 2 weeks longer until it cleared, panicked a bit at the time! Had 3 PN and 3 Cabs running, the FW PN was my first at that kit, have made several FW PN and CabS batches now, am getting used to the differences

Have been filtering after the final rack down before bottling for over a year now, it certainly does make a difference, am using the all in one wine pump which doesn’t have the horses to filter and bottle at the same time, but it still saves so much time at bottling. I autosyphon at rack down manually, better control over the lees
still missing the WE French grape Cab, polished off the last bottle from early 2019 this week, have a fall 2020 WE Lodi Limited Cab asking to be tasted.

Latest posts

Back