K-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zember311

Reaction score
Alright, thanks to all of you and yes even Wade had an answer or two
smiley2.gif

I think it's all water under the bridge now excpet for one thing..

I read K-meta has a 2 to 3 month life when bulk aging.

now, 1/4 teaspoon to 5/6 gallons, I do 3 gallons so I do about an 1/8.

but,

if I add the kmeta, bulk for a month and decide to rack, ( total bulk time does not mean much to me but I want to be sure it is sediment free, so each month I rack and when it's sed free, it's time to bottle for me)

should I be adding another dose of kmeta with each racking if only a month apart since kmeta has a 2 to 3 month life?

I only ask because I don't want to have too much kmeta in my wines if i do a rack a month for 2 or three months before bottling.

I don't think it's a health concern too much to me, just a taste ? concern ?

Any light on this topic and I think all of you have me well under way !

Zember311,

I would only add every other racking.

Someone with more knowledge should be along shortlyto answer better.

Keeps it simple then and I thank you.

I just thought too much.

thought the aireration caused by racking would offset the kmeta's ability.

so, COOL !

I think it's easy drinking form here !

remember that we are always going for *free* SO2, however, once that SO2 does become bound up by oxygen, it still stays in the solution and can contribute a taste to the wine in high enough concentrations. Sulphur is Sulphur, so adding too much, even though it does get bound up, will change the taste of the wine.

We all tend to think that as home wine makers we use far less SO2 than commercial wineries, however, if you actually test commercial bottles, we are about on par these days with most good wineries. Of course the bulk Gallo, Charles Shaw, Yellow tail, etc crap usually does have more.

I agree Dean, Ive seen a steady build up of wineries making sure they label their wines as low sulfite wines now!

Back