Just started my "QuadBerry Passion"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked my last batch's SG after back sweetening with sugar---because I had been asked that very question. It was right around 1.010. that's to my taste.

thanks Dave.

I checked the SG this morning before I left to work and it is down to 1.000 and the fermentation is still going strong...!!

I will check it again in about an hour and I think it will be around ~0.996 based on how the SG has been dropping.

Last edited:
SG ~0.994 (maybe a hair less), I still see a little bit of fermentation going (few bubbles coming up).

I think I am doing first racking soon today and air-lock wine.

Smells good....

SG at ~0.992, added kmeta, sorbate and super kleer (fining agent), then racked into carboy.
Now waiting time for a week.....

I have some left over and filled a .750ml bottle and screw cap on it, is that ok?

Fermentation was over.

ok guys, day 7 since I stabilized and added fining agent, so I am ready to rack and back sweeten (4 or 5 cups) in a couple hours.

The 5gal carboy has been sitting in basement and temp has been a bit cool around 60.

My plan is to first rack into plastic pail so I can properly stir for the white sugar.

4 cups of sugar is about 2 pounds, right?

My question is,

a) should I warm some of the wine in the microwave, maybe 2 liters? and then pour the sugar and stir well until dissolved, and then add wine to pail to blend everything (stir)

or
b) should I just simply pour the sugar into the pail while stirring hoping to get it dissolved completely?

Don't warm the wine! If anything, make a simple syrup, 2 parts sugar to 1 part water, I've even made 3 to 1.

but adding water would dilute the wine a bit........

it will be a syrup, trust me, yer not adding a gallon, you will add maybe 2 cups of water.

yep, mix the sugar and water and heat to just before a boil, you will see and feel it turning into a syrup, take off the heat and let cool a little.
Add until the SG that you desire.
Or, you could just add the granulated sugar to the must and still the snot out of it until it dissolves

Tom, once cleared and then racked and back sweeten, did yours get a little cloudy?

Mine is a little haze or cloudy, when using the pump to rack it did get a little bit of sediment but not much.

I wonder if the sugar would do that and then it should clear out?

Yep, it'll get a little cloudy, then it will clear up again. You can always rack it again in a week or so if it drops sediment. I filtered mine and it is sparkling clear.

great, thanks, makes me feel better now, I guess it is mostly sugar color and not sediment making it look like it.

after back sweeten with about 4 3/4 cups of sugar(over 2 1/2 lbs.), then the SG went to ~1.014

Nice!!! I just tried the first batch of Berry Bliss made strictly with Honey, no sugar at all.............WOW...........did I mention...WOW!
Now I know what the "love affair" with Melomel is all about! What a unique taste, even the flavor of the berries is more intense and true to the actual berry flavors....WOW!
It has to sit and age a month of so, in that time I will rack and finally filter it.
Man I am pleased with it, even my wife gave it "2 thumbs up"....lol

Back