Just started my "QuadBerry Passion"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,
Is the Berry Bliss the recipe Dave posted up using his DB with honey? If so, I am going to start a batch this weekend, glad to hear it is awesome.

Just about one in the same, we differ just a bit. If you would like, I can send it to you. Did I mention...
THANKS DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi folks,

A bit late to this thread, but I'm curious about what Sammyk posted earlier re: back sweetening with a reduction of berries. If one did this, would you also add sugar/honey? I s'pose it would be tough to get accurate sweetness?

Tom or Dave,

something I forgot to mention....when back sweeten and stirring I also added a few ounces of the 100% lemon juice.
I did this b/c I remembered that the bottles I bought were 32oz. versus the 48oz. in the recipe. But then while doing the first mix I only poured 1 bottle and 1/3 of the 2nd bottle, which is around ~43oz. ballpark.

So in the back sweeten process I added I'd say maybe 4~6 ounces.

I'm afeaid if adding the few ounces of lemon juice at that stage would ruin the flavor (too acid) ??

I did a quick test at that point (poured a bit in my palm) and tasted acid a little.

...worried now....:i

I'd let it sit undisturbed for while, Varis, and see how the flavor comes around. Is it clearing up ok?

I made the mistake once of adding lemon on the back side to bring out what I thought I was bringing out lemon flavor in a Skeeter Pee. It made it very lemony but also did bring out the acidity. I thought I ruined it but after 30 days it mellowed out quite a bit. I bet you're in good shape.

I tasted a left bottle I have and it was fine......good hope....!!!

DB clearing but very slow, the bottom of carboy shows a thick haze.....in how many days this is supposed to clear after back sweeten?

if the temp (room) stays around 70-72 it will clear a lot faster then a cooler room.

that was also my suspicion, thanks.
The carboy is in a closet in the basement and temp is around low 60s, need to crank up the pellet stove....:D

DB clearing but very slow, the bottom of carboy shows a thick haze.....in how many days this is supposed to clear after back sweeten?

Varis is anxious! I always give mine at least a week to clear back up after sweetening. Like Tom said, temp can maker the difference.

Varis is anxious! I always give mine at least a week to clear back up after sweetening. Like Tom said, temp can maker the difference.

dave, I'm really anxious to bottle this baby....:br

I back sweeten last Wednesday (Jan. 9), so it will be a week tomorrow night. It is clearing up but slowly, so I guess I will have to wait a bit longer than a week. Time to crank up the pellet stove tonight...

Latest posts

Back