Just started my "QuadBerry Passion"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
Yep, that might be the name I give to this DB..

I mis-measured b/c my bucket is a 6 gal but here's what I added:

-about 48oz lemon juice
-a bit less than 5 gallons of distilled water (I didn't want to use my well water from home so I bought 6 gallons but only used 5 due to the pail getting to the top)
-10 lbs of white table sugar (left a little bit in the bag, around 1/4 of the pound)
-1 bag with 3 lbs of triple berry
-3 bags of 1 lb quad berry
-all other chemical ingredients per Dave's recipe

SG at ~1.080

See pics attached.

quad berry1.jpg

quad berry2.jpg

Nice! That is always my favorite stage. The dark blood red stage. I just wanna drink that sometimes.

Awesome! And remember, you didn't mis- measure, you adjusted the recipe...lol This is what will make it personalized!
Keep us posted! and keep that brew belt rocking!
Tom

I made the quad berry last year, only one very small bottle of lemon ( acid reflux and we gave away all of the original SP) and 12 pounds of quad berry. It was very good and went very quickly. I called mine "wild berry".

Back flavored with a little sugar and more of the frozen quad berries simmered down.

I would get a tray or something under that primary. If she takes off, you are gonna have a mess all over that nice floor. Even slip a big garbage bag under it and pull it up just a little ways. Lots easier cleanup if it does bloop over. Guess how I know. LOL, Arne.

yep, wife got me a big plastic tray from Costco, the big ones that you get with Christmas cookies and those.

It is perfect. I pitched the yeast yesterday around 3pm but no action yet as of 8am this morning....

I haven't checked the temp as I don't have a thermometer, need to go to Walmart to find those fancy ones where they stick to the bucket, like a strip.

The must is warm, I squeezed the fruits yesterday (ready to do that now again) it was very warm.

The brew belt is on plus bucket is right in front of pellet stove in basement..;)

Yeast foaming a lot today, I left my house yesterday and there was no activity, returned tonight and lots of foam now.

SG 1.032 right now....has been dropping over 10 decimal points daily....still very active fermentation and juice is warm.

Did you guys also get some small pieces of fruit floating on top?
That what it seems I have here...See this picture....

DB.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that's fine. Just stir it all in together as scheduled. It's looking great!

will all that fall down when fermentation is done?
I'm wondering ahead of time when I rack into carboy for the first time, I don't want to bring all those "remains" into my carboy.

Nope, mine didn't, very little racked over, as long as your racking cane has one of those neat little racking cane tips, you should be good.

Tom, per Dave's recipe we just rack once SG is ~ <1.000.

So it looks like we don't need to wait 3 consecutive SG readings below 1.000 to make sure fermentation is done and wine is dry, like regular grape juice

BTW - when you back sweeten, remind me, your SG went to what reading?
And you tried both plain white sugar and honey? Which one you liked better?
I think I will use white sugar as I don't want honey to over take the color of the blush.

Last edited:
Yep, at 1.000 I rack, I do however check the SG everyday while it is fermenting.
To be honest, when I back sweeten my Dragon Blood, I don't set to a certain SG, I back sweeten to my personal taste, just remember, don't over sweeten, the sugar needs a week or so to incorporate and blend with the berries.

I cannot wait to start my next batch on Wed. My wife looked at the wine rack and said...it's getting a bit low....I took that as a hint...LOL!!!

Geek,

I've only made one batch, but have my second clearing now. I sweetened "to taste" the first time around, but plan to measure SG this time. That way, I have a ballpark sweetness to aim for in the future. That'll also help me produce a more consistent product.

Jim

Back