Just Couldn’t Stand It

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry podner but I lost my DSL due to thundrstorms in our area this evening. Rack her to glass Jobe and stabalize by dissolving one campden tablet and 1/4 tsp. Sorbate in 1/2 cup of the wine. I would go ahead and rack off an additional cup before adding the mixture back to the carboy and set it aside to top back off with. Add the campden and sorbate back to the ine and stir the heck out of it until you get no more foaming. Then add bck the additional cup you drew off, top it up, put an airlock back on it and let her begin to clear. Need more pictures and tasting notes here too.
smiley32.gif

I racked off to glass, but way to many lees came with it, so I racked a full gallon, plus another quart or so in another 1/2 gallon jug. After just a few minutes you can see the lees building up about an inch in the gallon jug, and 5 inches on the 1/2 gallon. I put them under airlock for the nigh and they are still bubbling slowly. I'll finish with your instruction tomorrow night. By then the SG will have dropped a little more which won't hurt. Right now I'm at 12.77%, that will just put me a little over 13%, which is ok.

Should I add a clearing agent as well? Isinglass?

Also, I have changed my label a little as well, just made one small adjustment. Will post that tomorrow as well.

Good job podner. Myself, personally, I would let the wine clear on its own. I think you will be well pleased with how quickly it will clear. Cant wait to see those pictures.

I agree with Waldo. I know it's hard, but in this case, waiting it out is definitely the best option.
smiley1.gif

OK Waldo. .994, ABV=13.04% Taste..... Heavenly! Has that very distinct muscadine bit but dry enough to be very smooth going down. Started with a gallon and a half, ended with one gallon........... Did I say it goes down smooth
smiley2.gif

Before:

2005-11-15_165750_before.jpg

After:

2005-11-15_165816_after.jpg

Way to go Jobe.great job podner.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Did you get much foaming when you degassed it? Edited by: Waldo

surprisingly, not a lot. But I fugured I would stir it really good over the next few days till nothing more comes out. I only have the small paddle on the end of an 24" spoon, so it's hard to get a good stiing action going with it. I don't think the fiz-ex will go through the neck.

will it hurt if I do it over a few day period? Or should I go back out and beat it up for another half hour or so?Edited by: jobe05

I would go ahead andbeat it till it foams no more Jobe.Edited by: Waldo

Ya stir and stir and stir......And just when you think your done, just let it sit for a minute and start again and more bubbles come out....
smiley5.gif

It's going to be a several day process.

If I may steal a phrase from Waldo:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa Whoooooooooooooooo

Boy did I have a brainstorm of an idea.

Take 1 -11 year old, and your wife's vacume bag sealer and what do ya get!

2005-11-15_193959_friggen_brainstorm.jpg

An extreme DeGassing Machine!

About 5 seconds after this picture was taken, the friggen bottle imploded
smiley19.gif
Luckily, it gave out right on the bottom rim, very evenly so it only leaked a little, then I slid it to the edge of the table and back into the bucket that I had just cleaned...... Now have back in a bottle..........

The good thing...... It's de-gassed!

The bad thing....... I know have Joe's Orange mead on my ceiling, and muscadine all over the kitchen floor........ Cranberry wine is next......... I wonder what my kitchen will end up tasting like in a year!
smiley36.gif

Holy cow!
smiley29.gif

That must be quite suction on that thing!!!! Hopefully noone got hurt.

Ciel du Vin is what I'd call it.
smiley36.gif
I think it kinda means "Sky of Wine"

I'm not french, but had it in high school Basically all I can remember is "Thank God it's Friday" and "Where's the Bathroom."

But I digress.....
smiley36.gif
Edited by: MedPretzel

Dam Jobe!!
smiley36.gif
Damn!!
smiley36.gif
OK, time to quit laughing now and thank God no one got hurt. Thank you Jobe for that valuable lesson. So now we are back in aother glass jug er uh! Carboy. How much of trhe wine did you lose podner?

Thought I would throw i a picture here too of my "Golden Muscadine". It contiues to clear nicely and from it's current progression looks like it may be ready to bottle around Christmas time.

2005-11-16_020255_golden_muscadine.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Luckily, no one was hurt. It just sucked the whole bottom of the jug in where it meets with the side of the jug. It broke even enough where the bottle just rested angainst the table, sealing in most of the juice, so I only lost about a cup or so. Fortunately, I had a quart more than this gallon jug, so I have plenty to get me back to the full gallon mark. And yes, I strained the juice through a very fine strainer screen, then through a coffee filter to remove any small peices of glass that may have been in the juice, more surprisingly, there were none.

Your wine looks great Waldo and clearing very nice.

Martina: Well, lets just say it created more suction than I thought it would
smiley36.gif
. After that little episode, my wife got on Ebay and ordered me a Mityvac. It has a guage............

But I was impressed at all the bubbles it was taking out and very fast. A little less impressed with my cheap gallon jug!

Although Timmy says it will be easier to put a boat in it now if we wanted to
smiley36.gif

My father brought up the idea of using suction to de-gas wine. I'm sure all of us have been in the science classes where the teacher demonstrates how to get water to boil by creating a vacuum.

If I tried it, I would be very carefull to keep the suction light. Some of the bubbles you are getting may be boiling wine! And remember, the boiling point of alcohol is lower than water. So the alcohol will boil off first! You may being making alcohol-free wine. And what good is that?
smiley2.gif

You are right on the vacuum process. It could heat up the wine. That is the process used by the kit manufactures to pasteurize the wine kits and, thereby, give the product shelf life. The vacuum process does not carmelize the sugar like boiling could do.

Does anybody know how much pressure it takes to get it to a dangerous point for the wine. I know in my experiment it seemed the danger point came when the bottle met it's danger point.....lol

I have read people using the mityvac for instance and it goes to 25 (??) would 25 hurt the wine?

Latest posts

Back