Just Couldn’t Stand It

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo, the Muscadine is doing GREAT!

It's very clear, so I went ahead and racked it last night. Surprisingly, there wern't that many lees or gunk on the bottom, of course it's only a gallon so.........

But it's clearing nicely and tasting very good! I had enough left over to get about 1/2" on the bottom of a wine glass and it was awsome! I wanted another glass but figured I would have to top up with water, sooooooooo............. I didn't.

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

OK........ Time to fess up Waldo............

I WANT TO DRINK IT!

Something that good ought not just sit in a bottle and do nothing! It should be filtered, sweetened, chilledand taken to a nice candle lit living room couch after dinner, and shared with the one I love the most, with a snuggly blanket and a good movie.......................

Ya know this wine isn't going to make it mast a few weeks aging right? I think I said nothing less than 6 gallons next year, make that 12.......... at least!Edited by: jobe05

LOL.......I now have 2- 375ml bottles of my Muscadine left that I was going to let age a year
smiley36.gif

The last 3 of the 750 ml went away with Thanksgiving dinner. I have ordered me 12 muscadine plants from Isons Nursery.

Waldo said:
LOL.......I now have 2- 375ml bottles of my Muscadine left that I was going to let age a year
smiley36.gif

This isn't from the batch you just made was it? If not, how old is/was it?

Does the place you got your vines from have a web site?

Waldo, Jobe.

PLEASE put at least one away for a year! You will appreciate the wine SO MUCH MORE if you do so. It may taste "great" now, but it'll be a knockout in 5-6 months from now. Imagine sitting on your porches in the 80+ degree weather and sipping something you made in THE WINTER!

Take it from me. Hide them things away from your sight (outta sight, outta mind). Make more. Make more of "crazy-out-of-your-mind" wine. Why do you think I make such weird batches? So that the good ones can age!
smiley2.gif

Great suggestion and Im hoping to have the willpower......... However, I only made a gallon
smiley19.gif

I don't think it's going to last long. I have visions of putting it in small, single serving bottles and telling everybody it really bad........

But I don't have a poker face........
smiley5.gif

Okay, here's what you do:

firstly, make another batch -- of anything.

secondly, go to george's and buy 2 5- or 6-gallon carboys.

thridly start another batch or 2.

fourthly, get your darn mind off of your little 1-gallon batch. It's just gonna get better! Do you want to drink it when it's not in its prime?!? (Trust me, I know you think it's in its prime NOW, but it's not. Even if you drink 1 bottle every month from now, you ain't gonna taste it when it's really good.)

Or.... You can bottle it in beer bottles (which I do:Warsteiner - brown or St. Pauli Girl - green.) Just don't get the ones with a screw top. Get yourself a capper and some caps. Wine is more than fine in beer bottles and caps. Perfect for 2 glasses. No fancy corks, no fancy labels necessary. Get's the job done, and you can test your wine more often without having to open up (ruin) a whole bottle. If it needs more time, you know in 2 glasses, not 5....

And make sure you keep darn good notes. Your notes will get better once you start making more of them. Just keep doing it. Make notes of store bought wines. Not just "I like it." notes, but say, "tastes kind of like bubble-gum" or "tastes like the way dog poop smells" but the acidity is something I like in it.

It will help you make a good wine out of your own ones.

Just my 2 cents.

M.

I would love to make more Muscadine, but I have looked everywhere for them and they are apparently gone for the season now.........

I may see if I can just buy a couple of commercial bottles somewhere till mine ages a bit.

Will #7 corks fit in a beer bottle? Or do you have to but the caps back on? I don't have, nor do I want to buy one of those cappers. Since my wife and I both don't drink beer, bottles are not readily available either.

So I'm just going to have to keep myself busy making more wine...... I have 3 emty 3 gallon carboys, 2 - 5 gallons and a 6.5 gallon just begging for something...........

I have a Cellar Craft Amorone with the skin pack on order and should be in this week...........
smiley4.gif

If you can find it Jobe get a Posts' Red Muscadine. It is very good. Here is the URL for the Muscadine vines too podner

http://www.isons.com/

And , the Muscadine I just made is still clearing. The one I was refering to was made earlier in the year.

Thanks for the link Waldo. I'm still going to get mine from Ty Ty's because they have 3 year plants that are already 7 to 10 feet long, and could produce the first year. I wouldn't let them produce the first year, but would enjoy the bigger crop the second year.

I can't post a picture tonight but my wine is crystal clear! What should I do........

1) Just wait......
smiley19.gif

2) Drink it.......
smiley4.gif

3) Bottle it and let it age......
smiley19.gif

Let it age "Grasshopper", You will be greatly rewarded for your patience

DARN!
smiley19.gif

I wish Blackberries and muscadines grew year round.............

Next year I'll know better. I have a big freezer downstairs thats practically empty. Next year it will be full! I'm planning all my vacation time around fruit harvest times!

Spoken like a true winer! (Not to be confused with a whiner!) This is the kind of talk that makes my heart glad! The first step to healing is to admit you have a problem. Admit nothing! Just go with that thought and no harm will come to you!
smiley36.gif

Ok Waldo..........

the wine cleared (enough for me). I filtered, stabilized and bottled. I filled mostly small bottles so I could taste test over the next year.

Tonight we were at the store and I bought a bottle of Muscadine wine (blush, like mine)....... I like mine better already!

The commercial wine is sweeter and seems.......... thinner than mine. It has a hot alcohol taste at 12% and mine is 13% and smooth. Mine is also more earthy tasting than the commercial.

So far..... I am very inpressed with mine.
2005-12-10_184700_100_1202.jpg

2005-12-10_184718_100_1197.jpg

The wine on the left is an Apple wine, the muscadine is on the right.

Can anyone tell me the difference.
Apparently on University property we have mustang grapes rather than
Muscadine. What's the difference?

I've been told I can have them next year, if the chiggers don't get me first.
Do I want them?

peterCooper said:
if the chiggers don't get me first.
Do I want them?

You mean the students?
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

Of course you want them!
smiley32.gif
Sorry, I can't tell you the difference, but I can say, people make Wine out of Mustang Grapes too.

Hi There Peter

Yes you want them, they makee a good wine. I have 5 gallons ageing now and have about 40 lbs in my freezer. I pick all i can wash and destem them, put then in thee freezer for later use.So when the weather is cold and rainey i cant do anything outside I defrost them andd make wine and jelly. So if your ever around Alvin Tx and see an old man standing in thee back of a green ford pickup its probably me, just stop and chat .

There is a difference between students and chiggers. Chiggers don't fail
their final exams!

It's finals week down here in Huntsville and the students are gonig to b put
through their paces. Have pity on them.
smiley19.gif

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Jobe....Great job man!! I can nhardly wait until next years Muscadine season rolls around. I am anticipating some good news from my nephews wife. We had our family Christmas party this past Saturday and guess what she brought...Muscadine pie. It was awesome. She said her Grandpa maks lots of Muscadine wine and she got hers for the pie from him and she is going to check and see if he will sell me some. She said he has two big chest freezers full of nothing but muscadines..Woooo Hoooooooooooo Im keeping my fingers crossed.

jobe05 said:
Ok Waldo..........

the wine cleared (enough for me). I filtered, stabilized and bottled. I filled mostly small bottles so I could taste test over the next year.

Tonight we were at the store and I bought a bottle of Muscadine wine (blush, like mine)....... I like mine better already!

The commercial wine is sweeter and seems.......... thinner than mine. It has a hot alcohol taste at 12% and mine is 13% and smooth. Mine is also more earthy tasting than the commercial.

So far..... I am very inpressed with mine.
2005-12-10_184700_100_1202.jpg

2005-12-10_184718_100_1197.jpg

The wine on the left is an Apple wine, the muscadine is on the right.

Latest posts

Back