Just Couldn’t Stand It

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Jobe. I would leave the straier bag in the must until you get ready to rack to your secondary. The bag will cotinue to float to the top so just turn it each dayand that brownish colored foam layer you want to just stir back in podner. When you do get ready to rack to secondary which will be at an SG of .998 or lower just take the strainer bag out. Dont squeeze it but let it drip drain back into your fermenter. It will not take it long to quit dripping.

Edited by: Waldo

I set out to find the art of making wine,
The internet is it, this will be fine.
I searched and I searched for the right place to be,
After many months, I found Fine Vine wines you see.
The people were plenty, kind and vast,
I found my knowledge base at last!
I read through the post, and who did I see,
A man named Waldo, who I knew could help me.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Waldo was wise, so funny yet smart
Said Podner you want wine, then head to Walmart.
You must get muscadine, they are on sale
Crush’em and bag’em, put’em in your pail.
Now don’t mess with me son, you get this straight
I want pictures daily, and early, I go to bed at eight.
If you want some fine wine, that will make you proud
Then you listen to me, don’t make me yell loud.

You’ve started your wine, so far so swell,
Good color, good taste and so far, good smell
Twice a day, you punch and squeeze that strainer,

Just listen to me, making wines a no brainer

smiley36.gif

ROFLMAO If I cant make a "Wine Maker" out of you, I'll make you a poet
smiley36.gif

Is this a wine forum or a poet's forum? Are you gonna make me post a poem, as well?

There was a man from Nantucket...
smiley9.gif

Oops,better find a better one.Edited by: geocorn

Comon George...I know you can do it buddy
smiley32.gif

There was a man from Nantucket

Who made all of his wine in a bucket

Cabarnet, Merlot, Zinfandel and Port

He'd just throwin the grapes and yeast and let her snort

He would never rack it off the lees

The sedimentin his bucket would come up to your knees

From a dipper hanging on his bucket he did serve

Your welcome to taste it if you have the nerve.

OK,,,OK...I'll shut up
smiley36.gif

Edited by: Waldo

I hope someone is saving all the good poetry all over this board.

Hey George, How about a "Poetry" Heading?

Colors getting better, so is the flavor.
smiley2.gif

I wish it was 13% ABV right now and I cold drink it!

2005-11-10_171105_11-10-05.jpg

What a pleasure to come home from work and see what you guys are up to everyday!!!!

Very Good!!!

RGEEdited by: rgecaprock

Sounds like a job for the forum administrator! Oops, that would be me. Time to hire a forum admin!

George:

I f you really need an admin, I could have my son email you. He's a computer wiz kid in college with some free time between 3 and 5 am
smiley36.gif
. I'm sure he would be happy to help you with whatever you need. He loves this stuff.

He's in college and belongs to a phrat of about 60 or so..........

Collectively, this board couldn't come up with enough bottles for a single party for these boys.

He would be happy to do it for free, he's a good kid.

jobe05 said:
Colors getting better, so is the flavor.
smiley2.gif

I wish it was 13% ABV right now and I cold drink it!

2005-11-10_171105_11-10-05.jpg

Looking super there Jobe
smiley32.gif
What is your SG at now?What are the detectable changes in the taste of the must since you pitched the yeast?Edited by: Waldo

SG Last night when I posted last was 1.048. I am surprised that the "foxy" muscadine aroma, that aroma of bitterness (that roten brown stuff on the top), sharpness and sweetness isn't like the actual taste. There is that "foxy" muscidine taste but it's very mild or right now at least equal to the seetness from the grape and the sugar. I would be very happy if it would stay at this taste. But Im sure it'll get better with time. Also as a side note, the strainer bag is about on third the size it originaly was when it went into the bucket, so I know the pectic and the yeast are doing it's thing.

Speaking of the yeast. I chose the 71b 1122 because of what I had read about what it does to the flavor of the fruit (among other things). If this yeast inhances and maintaines fruite flavor, why wouldn't you use this on all fruite wines?

Bert says, "That the yeast decision is one of the challenges we face with each batch of wine we make. Deciding what you want from your yeast for your finished product. Do you want the fruit flavor or are you looking for something else in your finished product? Sometimes you may want a higher or lower alcohol content and changing yeast will give you that finished product."

The challenges are the fun of wine making!
smiley20.gif

I believe you are going to have some fine wine there Jobe. From here on out, I would not be too concerned with mashing the strainer bag. Just keep it turned over to prevent it from drying out. Right now I would give the must a good vigirous stirring, sing it a good lullaby and just watch her perk. As for your question on the yeast Jobe I am not knowledegable enough to give you a correct answer. Myself personally, I am trying different strains of yeast on like musts just to see if I am able to detect any differences. I know the 71B is a fast fermenter and does seem to extract more of the natural fruit flavors. I will let you know more about this when my current batch of "Golden Muscadine" is completed in which I used the MontcharetEdited by: Waldo

71B is used by a lot of my muscadine, mustang and scuppernong wine makers. Another good one to try would be the RC-212. It is good for extracting color from the fruit.

Jobe,

I will PM you about the availability of you son.

Waldo:

SG tonight is 1.032 and dropping
smiley32.gif
Stired it up good! This has great color, I hope it clears almost as dark red as it is now.

Great idea on trying different yeast with the same type must's, that and some good notes (which I suck at) will allow you to make better wines as you go I guess. So I suppose I should start taking better notes.............
smiley18.gif

Latest posts

Back