Just Couldn’t Stand It

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smiley32.gif

Man! I love romantic musings! Uh-oh...didn't mean to show my soft side...

smiley9.gif

Racked my "Bronze Colored Muscadine" to glass this morning at an SG 0f 1.010 and a must temp of 72 degrees. Was very tart and tasted strongly of the fruit from whence it was born. There was just hint of bitternessI hope will be going away.

Getting greedy, I put the strainer bag back into the fermenter with the lees, added about a quart of water, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp yeat nutrientand stirred the heck out of it. Hopingto getjust a little more wine.

I have had good success with second wines. It is also a good way to get a little topping up wine for the original wine.

You continue to impress me with your fast learning!

smiley32.gif
Edited by: Hippie

Thanks Hippie. I have a great teacher in you Masta, Med and the other members of this forum. The second wine is fermenting strongly.

OK Waldo........ I couldn't stand it anymore! So I went to Walmart and here is what I found. The smell of these is undiscribeable, just incredibly awesome! However....... I am going to let youdirect me in every step of the process if you will. I have never made a scratch wine from Muscadines and I know that you went through a very good learning curve doing so. So I want you to help me turn these big (about the size of a quarter) red (almost black) Grapes into a masterpeice.

Direct on Mistro!
smiley32.gif
I'll await your next command.

2005-11-06_182607_Muscadine.jpg

The red ones are not quite ripe, so acid might be a little higher than usual, which is high anyway.

Way to go Joe..
smiley32.gif
Ok podner, not sure what you have there weight wise but you will need at least 6 lbs. for a finished Muscadine with good body. If you have that many and if you have done nothing with them yet then your first step will be to de stem ,wash them good. Cull out any bad ones and then put them in freezer bags and freeze them suckers for about 2 weeks. About a good double handful in each gallon size bag with as much air squeezed from the bag as posssible, will make your next step easer. This is a procedure I learned from Hippie and it works great. IF you don't want to wait that long you can go ahead and process them now but I would highly recommend freezing them first. Letme know what you decide and we will go from there. I would also recommend you begin a new thread for your Muscadine. Not that I mind it being here but this is your wine.

Edited by: Waldo

I squeezed them........
smiley18.gif

Got a little over a quart of juice out of those three boxes. These were 21.5 oz like the ones that you baught.

I added 1 camden tablet crushed, 1 teaspoon of yeast nutiant to the must. Mixed it with 2 1/4 cups sugar.

Was going to add the Pectic enzyme (1 teaspoon) this morning.

All of this is from you recipe in another thread...... word for word!

I'm thinking of 71B yeast however, what do you think?

OOooops........

It's "yeast Nutriant"

I mixed the 2 1/4 ponds sugar with 3 quarts of water.

Will I need more grapes? I ended up with a full quart (plus about 1/4 cup) of juice. I can get more if needed.

The must, when first put together was a greenish grey color. This morning it's turning a little more to the Pink/Purple stage from the skins. Not as colorfull as I would have imagined it to be since the skins were so dark in color. But it's not done yet.

OK, had to do it before they were all gone. I went back to Walmart and got 2 more boxes. Mashed them up and added it to the must. Got about another 2 cups of juice and more leftovers for the straining bag.

Just awaiting your opion on the yeast strain to use..

Thanks Hippie. As much as I appreciate your knowledge, tact and wine making ablities, I have to say, thats why I here instead of........... well, you know. I'll still lurk and post there but I like to deal with people who have a more down to earth fondness for wine and winemaking without having to be in the cross hairs over wording.

Again, thanks for your help but I still have to wait for my self proclaimed (by me) mentor to aprove this.

Although I know he will wait for your knod
smiley2.gif

Jobe,

I am honored to read what you just wrote and glad that you like the friendliness of this forum. I want wine making to be fun. There is always more than one way to accomplish a wine making task and I want visitors to be free to express their opinion. If that ever changes on my forum, I will shut it down!

Thanks for your contributions!

It 's all good, jobe.

Part of being a good winemaker is knowing the correct definitions and methods.

I am very proud of Waldo's very fast learning progression.

smiley33.gif

George:

Thanks for your kind words and making available this fine board we all use to help each other. I am faily new to wine making, about 7 months now. I have done a lot of reading and a lot of following. I will say that there are only 2 people anywhere that I have ever come across who truely have the experience and ability to help others. Jack Keller and Hippie (no particular order). Jack is a great guy, unfortunately he is way over my head and I sometimes feel, NOT RIGHTFULLY SO, that a guy like Jack doesn't have the time for a wine maker like me. Again, NOT RIGHTFULLY SO! Jack try's to help everyone, he just can't be everywhere at once.

Hippie makes guys like me feel comfortable in what we are doing, or in most cases, not doing, and has the manorisms to explain to the layman in terms we (I) can understand. More importantly to a beginner like me is the availability of help when we are still in our "impatient stage" of wine making. Hippie just always seems to be there. And when he isn't, we have friendly people to step in and lend a hand. I always thought that being on a board with a kazillion members would be better than a board with a few hundred........... Another lesson learned in my progress in making wine. I'm glad to be here and hope I can benefit as well as assist when ever I can.

Hippie:

Waldo's seems like a great guy! And yes, he has learned a lot. Thats what I like about him, he's not afraid to put himself out there, right or wrong, he wants to do it right. If not he at least wants to have fun
smiley36.gif

Trust me. I feel honored to have Hippie, as well as others on my board! Their expertise and patience is invaluable.

Waldo:

Just checked the SG of the must and I'm right at 1.090. I figure if I ferment to .990, I should have a little over 13% ABV, which might be a little hot, but maybe it will fizzle out around 1.00 to .995......... maybe not.

Latest posts

Back