Japanese Plum Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe because toasted almonds will give it almost a cherry flavor, which goes with plums..i think....ameretto is made from almonds and or apricots

I bought a japanese wine, can't remember what it was called, but it had a small green plum in the bottom of the bottle.It was real thick, almost syrupy. I love japanese plums as well but this particular wine was not for me. We have a plum tree as well,not sure what type but the plums are yellow and very sweet. I'm looking forward to making wine with them. Good luck on yours LAgreeneyes keep us posted on it :b

I checked on and stirred my plum wine on last night and it smells DIVINE!!! OMG!!!!! I am soooooooooooooooo excited about this wine. I cannot wait. I am looking for more Japanese plums to get started on another batch. I have 2 batches of watermelon wine going as well.

My wife is from japan. She buys wine that has a stack of plums in it. Its pretty good.

We use to drink Fuki plum wine it was pretty good! And yes, I kid you not, it is called Fuki, I bought it just for that the first time, I was chuckling so hard, I had to have it...lol

My FIL shipped the fruit today. Hopefully I will start the wine this weekend.

The reason for the almonds will be evident as soon as you start working with the fruit. Loquat (frozen and thawed at least) smells just like amaretto. It is remarkable. I ended up with only 9 pounds so I'm making a recipe and a half. I will post some pics as I go.

Pic 1 is my loquats frozen.

Pic 2 is after thawing. There is a ton of juice.

Pic 3 is the fruit in the bag in the primary.

The recipe is different; you don't add all the sugar up front, but rather add about half up front and the other half just before racking to the secondary. I suppose this might be a difficult ferment, I can't think of any other reason to do that.

image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

I kind of like the water/volume approach this recipe uses, which is to cut back on the water and sugar at first, then after 12 hours drain and remove the fruit back, add water to the desired volume, then replace the bag.

My preadjustment pH was 3.51. I shaded back the acid blend to 2/3tsp/gallon and got post-adjustment pH of 3.39. SG is 1.056. I'll pitch the yeast tonight.

pic 1 is my loquats frozen.

Pic 2 is after thawing. There is a ton of juice.

Pic 3 is the fruit in the bag in the primary.

The recipe is different; you don't add all the sugar up front, but rather add about half up front and the other half just before racking to the secondary. I suppose this might be a difficult ferment, i can't think of any other reason to do that.

yummy!!!!!!!!

floating means good... i cant read the numbers... looks like 1.050 u got to get to .990 for it to be done fermenting...

Sorry James but she does not need to get to .990 for it to be done. Anything below 1.000 and it is stable on three different readings will tell you it is completed.

Back