Japanese Plum Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My advice is to give the pectic plenty of time before you pitch the yeast; keep the fermentation temps down; go with the staged sugar additions Keller talks about.

Can you make a suggestion for Pectic Time?

I hope to keep the fermentation temps close to 65 degrees storage room. Right now, the fruit and pectic and camden is 73 degrees.

I searched but couldn't find who "Keller" was. I have read about staged sugar additions, but need to read again. Do you have a link?

Thanks.....

Mine has gone quite brown... Did anyone else have this happen?
I did add some citric, but I also took all the pips out because they have cyanide in them.

Mine still has nice color but is slow to clear.
Maybe check pH and SO2 levels.

The fruit (I mean) has gone brown in the primary bucket.
I put it into Citric and Sulphite treated water as I processed and replaced the lid all the time.
It's only gone into the bucket yesterday, and yeast today.
Gone a very dark caramel coloured pulp.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I don't think I would worry too much about the color at that stage. I can't recall precisely what mine looked like at that point but I've had some nasty looking wines in the primary come out with nice color (and taste) in the end.

Thanks; upon further looking it seems like the top tiny bit exposed to the air has gone really brown (overnight). Because I've sprinkled the yeast I didn't stir, but it doesn't look so dark underneath when I have a poke (lol). Thanks, will hope it's not gone all gross!

Hey Stressbaby when did you rack to your secondary fermenter?
I've got 11 litres of juice with a cap of 6 litres in the bucket.
Shall I get it out of there and into the carboy now?
The SG says 1.020, but it's impossible to get a reading because of the pulp
(I just didn't have a bag, but have pressed the cap several times a day).
Any ideas on when I should rack it? It's been in for a week today.
Is that too long or ok? Thanks!

I would strain as much of the cap off as possible..maybe a few times.
then take a hydrometer reading.If the cap is as thick as you say, its probably not getting enough air to ferment as well.
Strain it throw a pillowcase,paint sprayer bag, etec.

THen take a hydometer reading for 3 days and see if it is done..
my guess is , its not done fermenting....are close.

In my opinion, as long as it's making such a big cap, it is not done. Keep punching it down and give a little more time.
My loquat wine went like this:
7/14/2013 pitched yeast at 1.062
7/16/2013 temp 25.7C; added cool packs
7/17/0201 1.018
7/18/2013 1.000; added 17oz sugar
7/20/2013 1.008; move to secondary 2gal + 375; lots of gross lees
7/22/2013 moved off pulp to 1 + 1/2 gallon + 750 of pulpy stuff for topping off
8/25/2013 racked

Mine has gone quite brown... Did anyone else have this happen?........

Sorry for the late/slow reply....

Mine has stayed a very nice color, and some of it has been slow to clear. (I have it in multiple containers.)

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/yellow-plum-wine-attempt-40078/index3.html#post467546

I was able to get a small sample to turn golden, though.

It was in another thread, where I added 3 drops of Hydrogen Peroxide to my Plum Wine, to see what would happen.

Overnight, it turned golden, and it's appearance changed.

It tasted good, though.

Last edited:
Update on the Loquat; threw a quick slideshow, as too many pictures!
www.ivividworks.co.nz/wine.html

I went and looked at all of your pics and slide show. (thanks for posting..:h)

The slide that says this...... "The wine looks great without all the crud...", .....displays a similar color that my sample glass had, after I added Hydrogen Peroxide.

Yeah, HydrogenPeroxide is a "debatable" topic, but it is an Oxidizer, and your pic/slide displays the color that I got.

......and thought that I'd post.

Sorry for the late/slow reply....

Mine has stayed a very nice color, and some of it has been slow to clear. (I have it in multiple containers.)

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/yellow-plum-wine-attempt-40078/index3.html#post467546

I was able to get a small sample to turn golden, though.

It was in another thread, where I added 3 drops of Hydrogen Peroxide to my Plum Wine, to see what would happen.

Overnight, it turned golden, and it's appearance changed.

It tasted good, though.

Yours are certainly yellow plums, but they are definitely not loquats.

Back