Mosti Mondiale It's On The Way !!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantLee63

Reaction score
Just got an email confirmation that George shipped my MM Meglioli Amarone Mondiale With Red RaisinsKit today, and that I should have it in 3 days - or by Monday I would guess. I'm really looking forward to this one !!!

- GL63

That will be a very nice wine...hope you give it some time in the bottle, it will be great...
smiley32.gif

That one will need much time in the bottle. Thats gonna be a killer wine!

I made this one last year, plan on trying one soon. Good luck with it, it should be a great one!

This wine is a 50th birthday present to myself - my plan is to bulk-age it for 3 years, then bottle age for 2 years, then start to enjoy it on my 55th birthday. At least that's the plan .....

Grant, this one is going to be a BIG wine!!! Time is going to make this awesome!!! Happy 50th!!
smiley36.gif

Would a kit freeze in transit???

Our idiot 'man in brown' will put a 60# box that says John Deere inside the door...A box tat says Harry and David with pictures of fruit on it stays out on the frigid steps...
smiley19.gif

Northern Winos said:

Our idiot 'man in brown' will put a 60# box that says John Deere inside the door...A box tat says Harry and David with pictures of fruit on it stays out on the frigid steps...
smiley19.gif

We haven't had a kit freeze in transit yet and George will tell you there have been a few mid winter shipments to I Falls.
On the "Man in Brown", we have the best service one could ask for. Brings it right down to the house and puts it inside.I've given him my cell # so he could put it in my truck(4x4) and I would drive it downbut he still does deliveryinperson. Can't say enough about that service.

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I plan to give it 3 yrs atleast to age.
Our "man in brown" is great here and when you live out in the middle of nowhere, good service is hard to find for anything.

Northern Winos said:

I ordered a Mosti All Juice kit last January and it arrived frozen solid as a rock. It actually broke the seal and popped the lid off in transit. The bag however was not damaged and nothing leaked out from it. It took a few days to thaw with 2 brew belts on it but turned out just fine. I had called George because I was concerned that it might be bad for the must if it had been frozen. He was surprised to hear that it froze as he had been attempting to freeze some for storage and was unsuccessful. I doubt his freezer went to -35° which was where our low temps were up here around that time. Even if they do freeze I don't think you'll have a problem unless the bag breaks open. The only down side is that you'll have to wait a few days for it to thaw out and bring it up to the right temp.

Well ..... it's not -35 here is SE MI, but it has been pretty cold with high temps in the single digits (8 above right now) and lows in the -5 to -10 range at night. So I guess I'll find out soon enough if I have to do any thawing before I begin. As long as the must is OK, I'll be OK as I would hate to have a $220 kit compromised because of the weather!

My guess is that frozen would be far better than being exposed to 120 F out in the desert somewhere .....

- GL63

If it does freeze you might have to replace the fining agent that comes with the kit. Whino, did you use all ingredients that came with your kit?

If I was at home right now I could grab my handy CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics and look up the freeze point of a sucrose solution of any given concentration. Since I'm at work that is not an option, but if I had to guess I would say the freeze point of a high alcohol wine like an Amarone is around 0F. Since it is currently 9F here I am not worried. I expect the box will be on the front porch when I get home today.

wade said:
If it does freeze you might have to replace the fining agent that comes with the kit. Whino, did you use all ingredients that came with your kit?

Actually yes I did and I had no problems at all. It was my first Mosti kit and I was extremely surprised at how quickly it cleared with the small amount of clearing agent that they use.

Now I wish I had ordered the Amarone. I feel like a kid at Christmas, waiting for the LE kits to arrive. My first LE will be the Meglioli Barolo. One more month. I can smell your Amarone juice now. Let the fermentation begin.

I've never even tasted an Amarone but with everyone's descriptions here, I'm gonna have to !! Please keep posting on your kit's progress. And good luck with waiting 5 whole long years to drink it, that's one birthday to really look forward to!!
TinaLouise

Got mine yesterday. Unfortunately all my carboys are full. Seems I never have enough carboys (and I have quite a few but I like to bulk age reds).

I was expecting mine yesterday but I dd not get it .... oh well, I know it will be here shortly, and I'm not planning on drinking it anytime soon anyways ....

- GL63

God to know whino, I know that some ingredients in some kits are not good if frozen but I should have guessed that MM kits would have found agents for this as they need to for their their frozen musts.

Back