Mosti Mondiale It's On The Way !!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got It !!!! The FedEx man handed it to me directly off his truck about an hour ago ..... it's now up to me !!!

- GL63

I like FEDEX because of this. They deliver quicker and more reliably than the gus in the brown shorts! They also deliver on Saturday. It recently took 10 days to get a book from 2 days ship from me form Brown.

The only thing I dont like about the Fed Ex guy is they just stick the package anywhere, Onetime they snuck into the backyard, onto my back deck and into my screened in gazebo and put Georges delivery package on a chaor in there and the only reason I found it was because I went out there to grill up dinner.

Appleman, hey, whats wrong with guys in brown shorts?
smiley36.gif

appleman said:
I like FEDEX because of this. They deliver quicker and more reliably than the gus in the brown shorts! They also deliver on Saturday. It recently took 10 days to get a book from 2 days ship from me form Brown.

I don't mean to turn this into a delivery service discussion but my situation is exactly the opposite. UPS delivers on time always and brings it inside for me. Fedex delivers when they feel like it which is on average 5-6 days on a "2 day delivery" and then sometimes leave it elsewhere than my house (like in a neighbor's gazebo) and if they do make it to my house it's just left somewhere outside (not even ringing the doorbell or blowing their horn). Maybe they think I like playing hide and seek with my packages. I've never had anything delivered on Sat either.

uavwmn said:
Grant, ok, it has been 24 hours, ya got that kit goin'?
smiley36.gif

Not yet ..... I did make a double batch of the 5 week CC Old Vine Zin yesterday which is bubbling along nicely here as I type this. My plan is to make the MM kit sometime this week - maybe Wednesday .....

-GL63

Rocky Top said:
Just like any service, the people make the difference. Every town is different.

Amen to that. You can get greatly different service, depending on the driver. Deliveries used to be prompt, courteous and handled well. The ones in charge right down to the drivers don't seem to care here anymore. They say they will deliver normally by 8:00 in the evening- excuse me, but when I see their truck sitting at their house for 6 hours in the middle of the day I need to ask, why do I need to wait until evening to get a delivery. I could go on for hours about bad experiences, but it all comes down to the individual.

If someone only uses DHL for delivery, I cancel the order.

good luck GrantLee

it will be a good 'en

"A toast of the geniality"
smiley32.gif

later

rrawhide

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one - this coming Saturday is the day that I'm going to be making it, so 01/24/2014 is the day I'll start drinking it !!!

- GL63

Ok, now I'm really interested in how yours does seeing as how I just picked up a MM alljuice Amarone today. I'm waiting to start mine about a week after you start yours, that way I can read on here how you're progressing and then I can do the same. So please please post lots of juicy details, nothing is unimportant to me. And pictures, please add pictures!!!
smiley2.gif
did I mention pictures!!!
TinaLouise

TinaLouise,

I made my Amarone today and followed the instructions except for a few items that I've listed below. If you have a 10 gallon fermenter, I would use it. Here are my notes cut and pasted from my Wine Making Log:

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 0in" ="disc">
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">Added one additional pack of EC-1118 (10 grams total) and rehydrated the yeast with 15 grams of GoFerm. The instructions that came with the kit called for just rehydrating in water.</LI>[/list]
<O:p></O:p>
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">Aerated with pure O2 for 2 minutes after pitching yeast. Glad I used my 10 gallon fermenter as this one foams up – with a rich, thick foam quite a bit – much more than a more typical gravity wine that I’ve made thus far.</LI>[/list]
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">The instructions gave conflicting information about the raisins – the standard instructions said to put the raisins in AFTER 24 HOURS, but the pamphlet that came with the raisins said to add them after pitching the yeast. I put them in after pitching the yeast. It should be noted that the standard instruction sheet says to rack when the SG reaches 1.050 – 1.040, and the raisin pamphlet says to leave the raisins in until the SG reaches 1.020. I’m going to rack off the raisins into a carboy when the SG reaches 1.020</LI>[/list]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">01/24/2009[/B] – <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">OG = 1.095[/B] - Only 1826 days before I start drinking this one!!!

Sorry no pics, but I hope this helps,

- GL63

Why did you add an additional packet of yeast?
My fermenter is 9 gal, hopefully it's big enough
smiley1.gif

I haven't even opened the bucket yet, I think I'll go do that and see what the instructions say about the raisins.
Your notes are quite detailed, even without the pictures.
TinaLouise

You certainly do not have to add an additional pack of yeastas EC-1118 takes off like a rocket and will chew through anything!!! The only reasonI did it was because I have a LOT of various yeasts (including EC-1118) that will be expiring by the end of this summer and am trying to use it up. That and the fact that this is apretty high-gravity must so I figured a few extra million yeast cells couldn't hurt!
Your 9 gallon fermenter will be fine - it's just that when I stirred this all up with my lees stirrer and drill motor, the foam was a good 6 inches thick. I don't think my 'normal' 7.9 gallon fermenter would have contained it, but then again, I would not have been as aggressive with the stirring either!!!

Also, I'm not sure of your location, but try to maintain 70 degrees or so must temp which is not so easy here in SE Michigan this time of year.But that is why I have Brew-Belts, one of which I'm using on my fermenter as I type this.

- GL63

PS - Not to worry ... MM knows a hell of a lot more about their kits than I do,and belive me, 5 grams of EC-11118 will do the trick.

PSS - I just checked and .... voila !!! Fermentation has commenced - less than 9 hours after pitching the yeast, and some of the raisins are becoming grapes again andare floating on the surface!!!

Funny about the maintaining 70 degrees, my problem is keeping it cold enough!! During the summer, my air conditioner is set on 81 !!! Location is Wilmington, North Carolina I'm thinking that I will only be able to make wine during the winter. My husband is from SE MI, Wyandotte

unaFORDable said:
My husband is from SE MI, Wyandotte

That's about 60 miles south of where I now live, although I used to live in Dearborn, MI which is only about 10 miles north of Wyandotte. My wife's niece lives there and I am very familiar with the city - they have a reallycool Art Fair there in the summer. Small world .....

By the way, the smell of this Amarone must is absolutely awesome !!!!!

- GL63

Day 2 Update:

Fermentation is off to a great start. Foaming is NOT an issue like it was when I stirred vigorously with my lees stirrer right after pitching the yeast. Must tempis a fairly steady 70 degrees.

Looks like about 50% of the raisinshave 'plumped-out' and have risen to the top.The must continues to smell divine and all looks well !

- GL63

Latest posts

Back