WineXpert Island mist kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsiddall

Junior
Reaction score
I made my very first wine kit the Island Mist Strawberry White merlot. I did everything very carefully per the instructions. I may not have stirred it enough, since it was a bit bubbly when I bottled, but it cleared beautifully.

My problem is that it tastes/smells yeasty. Not undrinkable, but very noticeable.

This was a 4 week cook then bottle/drink wine. I actually bottled 11 Feb and only now around to trying it, I was busy...no excuse I know, but it's the truth.
smiley36.gif

any ideas on if it was the kit, being only 4 weeks or something, or if I did anything wrong that would make the yeast smell/taste so blatant?

the SG was steady when I bottled.

Thanks.
De

If there is still dissovled CO2 in the wine this can cause off-flavors/smells. Pour a glass and give it a good swirl and let it breath a while to help degas and try it again to see if the flavor improves.

A Vacu-vin is also very useful for this besides saving a opened bottleso the degassing can be done right in the bottle before pouring.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?PartNumber=4317

Masta, so the Island Mist kits are "still?" There is no carbonation feel to them? I ask as the commercial Mist's I have tried seemed carbonated to an extent. I have started my first Mist kit. In fact, I ought to stabilize it today and degas. I have been wondering if it needed thorough degassing like a regular kit.

Generally speaking they are still kits-without carbonation-if thoroughly degassed. I agree with Masta. If there is bubbles in it, it can have off flavors. I have found the Island mist kits can have a slight yeasty flavor when youn, and continue to omprove with age as a regular kit does. In general, they have a more finished flavor sooner, but still can improve with age. I have found also that refrigeration for a few days also helps with flavors in the IM kits.

I figured so by reading the directions. It reads as any other kit. I was just wondering as the Arbor Mist stuff the wife used to buy tasted like an un-degassed wine. Had a slight tingle on the tongue and a few bubbles in the glass. I never drank the stuff, just took a few tastes. I am making the Mist kit for the wife and her friends who like the sweet fruity stuff.

I have always been a Wine Expert Selection type kit maker. I have only recently branched out to make various types of wine like fruit wines, Meads and other types of kits. I really look forward to starting a MM All Juice kit. The MM Port I started was a different experience. I know the WE kits inside and out and it was fun to have to really follow directions and use some different techniques to make the wine. It seemed more hands on than an automated process. I need make them all so I can be a source of good information!
smiley36.gif

Smurfe

All the Winexpert and RJ Spagnols mist type kits are not carbonated at all as appleman stated so you should degas as you would with any other kit. I haven't had anyone tell me they tasted any yeast flavors (since I don't drink them myself) but I always have increased the alcohol content so it is possible the higher ABV covers some of that up.

smurfe said:
I need make them all so I can be a source of good information!
smiley36.gif

Smurfe

Smurfe,
You not only need to make them all to be a source of good information, you need to make and drink them all to be a good source of information and tell people what they taste like.

Your right. I am working on being able to drink sweet stuff. It is getting easier but it is still a long tough road for me
smiley36.gif

Of the IM kits that Ive made Ive never noticed a yeasty taste either
nor a carbonated tingly feeling. They do get better with age on them
but will stay that long in a bottle either as they are a lower alc.
wine and should be consumed in a year and a half maybe two and thats
pushing it!

I have made 3-4 of the Green Apple kits and have yet to detect any yeasty flavors but I do bulk age mine a couple of months before bottling too so that may make a difference.

Back