WineXpert Thoughts on Island Mist Black Cherry additions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw73

Junior
Reaction score
Looking for suggestion of ideas for boosting/ additions to a black cherry kit while hoping to not make "cough syrup".

First option
Island Mist Black Cherry Kit
Oregon Fruit Dark Sweet Cherry Puree 49 oz
4 lbs sugar or as needed to get to 1.090-1.100
Complete by instructions

Do you think these will work together or should I look to a tart cherry?

Second option
Global White Concentrate
Complete by instructions
Add Tart Cherry Concentrate to secondary or at backsweetening stage.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have always made these somewhat simpler and folks love them, haven't made the black cherry one, but I just add enough sugar to get to the 1.090-1.100 level up front, a bit extra tannin and then the flavoring pak. I find the Peach Apricot one and the Green apple one don't really need much else than that.

They end up being wines that the folks who don't like wine love to drink and have enough taste that on a hot enough day, even my wife and I will chill one way, way down and drink it, but not very often. We are dry red/white drinkers, the ones who like wines that make you thirsty, they are so dry.

I've done what Craig does, simply adding sugar to an Island Mist to bump the ABV, and these wines are well loved.

The two options are both fine, but the real question: What is your goal? We have 3 completely different wines here.

What Craig & I have done is a step up from the basic kit, and it works well.

Option 1 is going to add a lot more fruit flavor, although I'd use tart cherry instead of sweet to hopefully avoid any similarity to cough syrup.

Option 2 is going to produce a wine more like a table wine, except with fruit flavor. Consider adding red grape concentrate instead of white.

I have a 25 liter demijohn (6.6 US gallons), so I'd combine 1 & 2, adding tart cherry and red grape concentrate, with an initial volume of 7 gallons (26.5 liters), with the intention of having the demijohn full after racking.

...I with the other guys on the simpler is better approach!

Cheers and Good Luck!

Looking for suggestion of ideas for boosting/ additions to a black cherry kit while hoping to not make "cough syrup".

First option
Oregon Fruit Dark Sweet Cherry Puree 49 oz
Complete by instructions

Do you think these will work together or should I look to a tart cherry?

Second option
Global White Concentrate
Complete by instructions
Add Tart Cherry Concentrate to secondary or at backsweetening stage.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I blended the Black Cherry wine with Dragon's blood which several people really seem to enjoy. ( 3 gallons cherry with 6 gallons Dragon blood)

I blended the Black Cherry wine with Dragon's blood which several people really seem to enjoy. ( 3 gallons cherry with 6 gallons Dragon blood)
That's a great idea. I'm not enjoying my D. B. at all. I'm blending it with other wines after the fact.

Latest posts

Back