WineXpert Island Mist Black Raspberry Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked to Secondary @ 1.008.....Sorry, couldn't figure out how to text with the image!!!!

This weekend I checked out a wine supply store in Jacksonville NC. It is called the Fermentation Station. I was really impressed with this store. He teaches a wine making class and has a bottle of every kit that he sells for you to taste. WE, IM, RJS etc. I tasted the IM Green Apple and Wow! it was really good. Going to have to order one and make a batch for myself. I picked up 3 more six gallon carboys and 1 three gallon for the port kit that I just received from George. Wanted to get them allfrom George but he told me the shipping would eat me alive and to get them locally if I could.
Looking forward to getting a bunch of kits started this week.

A bottle of every wine huh! Does he carry varied levels of each brand
as well. One of the places I go only stocks the cheaper kits and that
is not a good thing for her as I am an impulsive buyer and frequent the
store. Good for me but bad for her as I would probably have a bunch of
grape skin kits going at this minute. I was looking at a Celler Classic
Port kit but then she told me it was sold already!
smiley6.gif

I could have ordered one but like I said Im impulsive. Im not one to
order and wait, Im one to run down there on the spur of the moment and
pick up 3 kits!
smiley4.gif

He had about 30 kits in the store and said that he was running low. I guess teaching the wine making classes really helps him collect different bottles of every type that he sells. I was nice being able to shop and taste. Made me want to pick up a few that I never thought I would like.

Thats what I would do if I opened a store. One of the places I go has 2
kegs of beer going @ all times and quite a few of customers wines to
try but they are usually not kit wines which isnt bad but I do want to
try what Im buying!

Ok another newbie question. I added the 5# to my blackberry cab. its
supposed to rack in the morning from the primary, but its still perking
about 5-6 red bean sized bubbles every 3-4 seconds, I assume from
the extra fermentation that needs to occur.

Do I just take a gravity and move it or should I wait till the bubbling subsides in a couple more days?
Edited by: Mike777

Since you raised the SG by adding sugar, fermentation will likely take longer to occur. Check the SG and if it is in the proper range the instructions give, go ahead and rack it. If not, check again tomorrow.

Mike777, I also added sugar to mine with a little citric acid, it was right on time for racking to the secondary.

Racked the tiny cube (merlot) and it tasted good,
(surprise...surprise....surprise...) topped up w/ good merlot, so
thinking that it's going to fine. Will put clearing agent in and drink
right away. Now on to the IM Blackberry Cab, checked SG this am, reads:
1.023. Seemed kind of high but it's still perking away. Will check
daily. Thanks for all of your help.

Mike and Christina (aka the towel monkey.) She's not proud of that title.

Hi all - I started a black raspberry Merlot this week end. Man the juice smelled great ( a quick sample ) tasted good. I added about 4 cups of sugar that I boiled in water to dissolve. I'm hoping to be able to drink some of this while I wait on some others to age.

I just started this and I'm already looking for the next kit!

Appleman, my Black Raspberry is about 7 days into clearing and it looks pretty good!!! Did you wait the full 14 days for yours to clear before bottling?

I'm with Wade. I usually wait about 3 -4 weeks instead of 14 days for those type kits. In general I wait a little longer to bottle. Remember the days they say are the minimum.

we have the Black RasberryCabernet ready to bottle this weekend actually need to bottle the green apple riesling too......... Our wine store gives a free bottle of wine for each kit you buy...and taste of everything if ya want one..... I went there one morning at 10:00 a.m. and should not have driven home......lol...........j/k.

He makes alot of wine and sells alot of kits...... is very informative on everything, but I come here for information, and ideas ......unless I need help right away. He is just a phone call away and even makes house calls if ya need help....lol......... impressive if ya tell me! ( good business).

I always wait a little longer especially on the reds since its very
hard to tell if its completely done clearing. I bottled my first ever
batch a week later then theyre schedule to to a bad back and still got
sediment in the bottles. It was a W.E I.M. Blackberry Cab.

The Blackberry Cab is still boiling away in the secondary with a half peanut sized bubble every second. I had to go and get the pan and see the size to be sure I didn't hit it with 10#. Anyone else see this sort of activity with their additions?

The WE regular Cab is settling and should be ready to bottle on Wed, next week. I was hoping the IM would be done/bottled before the 28th.

As a newbie I know how it is and that you want to bottle it up as I did
to but beware that these reds will probably throw a little sediment in
the bottles after a month or two of bottling if you are using the
minimum allowed time according to instructions.

A thought you might tryis to rack off 5 gallon into a 5 gallon carboy for bulk aging then bottle the rest in 375ml bottles for early drinking while the rest continues clearing.

Back