WineXpert Island Mist Black Raspberry Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo,
I just happen to have an empty 5 gallon carboy!!! I am going to do just that. Thanks

That is a good idea Waldo, but I only have room for 4 large carboys total, so I wanted to keep them all as 6s if possible. I know I want at least one 3 gallon later on for ports and ice wines. I thought that the 3 gallon plus 3 of the 1 gallon growlers would be the best functional compromise at that point to get the most adjustable storage and closest to the recommendation. I can store the smaller ones at the top the laundry closet. Just not quite there yet, as far as shopping for more.

Even though its a Cab it should be gone long before a year comes, but bottling sediment is the last thing we want to do. The instructions say to bottle next Wed.
Its sitting on top of about an inch and a quarter of lees, and is very clear with absolutely no CO2. I coundn't pump any, at all, off on the last round. Flashlight into the wine above the lees shows the top layer to be very fine particulate of about 3/16 of an inch and a clear veiw under light about 2 or two and a half inches back towards the center of the cap , so I think its all settled out at this point. It shows 11% ABV at 500 foot elevation so likely 10%ABV like the kit says on every single point.

OK what is the general consensus? Should we:

a. Bottle since it looks very good, as far as clarity.
b. Give it two more weeks possibly, then bottle.
c. Buy another 6 gallon and rack it off the lees for bulk aging at two more months.

Its not a particulary expensive or special kit, just the generic red table sort. If it was high end I would probably spring for cubes and a bulk aging container right off.

Will leave off option c which is split for early drinking since I pulled 1 oz off and swirled it, the wine is formed but not of a tatse that you would want early drinking. I can clearly see it will age out into something nice though, just not for a couple months. I got to barrel taste at valley of the moon a couple years ago and I'm thinking its tasting like their real new stuff.

If you ask us we will always say bulk age especially since you are
looking at their minimum allowance before bottling. I never go by this
anymore as I have gotten sediment too many times in bottle before and
that just doesnt look good when you try to give someone a bottle nor do
you appreciate that!

I'm not adverse to bulk aging, and the wine theif confirms that there is going to be a wait for any of the complexity to build in that one.

How about this. Is it most important to get it off the lees right now?

I guess we could go and get another carboy if that is the best thing as far as avoiding sediment. Some bottles might get gifted later, should it prove itself after time. I don't have any sulfite right now. I wish the kits came with it .

The kits do come with enough to last about a year which is about as
long as this kit should be in a bottle. It could last longer but will
probably start degrading around that point. I have a few around 9
months old and have not tried them lately but will consume them
soon.

Waldo said:
The Green Apple Reisling is a tough one to beat too Flaco

Picked this up yesterday. It is a 2005 version. I had previously pointed out in the local that most of their kits were not current on the last visit and when we went in for the 3rd carboy, they had 25% off tags on them, so this one ended up on the counter while I was playing with the beer equipment. They have opened them and replaced the yeast with fresh ones stamped 2008.

Still has to wait a while till we finish all the rackings back and forth, but I wanted to push this through a bit before The Bluberry Pinot gets ordered or we might end up short on carboy space again.
smiley36.gif

The next ones are:
Green apple reiseling
Blueberry Pinot
Mango citrus
Classic merlot

Well the VR Cab has been racked for the final time to bulk age. we pulled a full glass and found it to be much like a good cab. in notes for the future we will drop a bag of cubes in for the final age work, although my wife is partial to spirals now that we looked at them, so they may get those, since a happy wife is the one that is important to me. It looks so clear, we were both shocked. even tastes fine right now but I know it will shape up to a much better wine with time. Once we get some early drinkers on the rack it will be time for a second fermenter, and I figured out by sliding the carboys back there is room for a three gallon on each side as well as four sixes, so I am feeling better now. By taking Waldo's advice I can also keep six one gallon jugs put up and split down as needed with the threes.

Thanks so much to everyone. Getting past the first one is very confidence building, and would not have happened if it wasn't for this forum and the great folks here putting up with the newbie questions.

It is very rewarding for us to hear that someone new is very happy with the outcome of their product. Cheers my friend!

Sounds like you really have a good plan and as Wade said it is great to know you are happy with your wine making.

Just a quikie update. I bottled the IM black Raspberry Merlot last Saturday.... Last night I opened a 375ml to give a taste. I have to report that I was pleasently surprised. I think this will be a hit for the summer. Refreshing, not too sweet, and enough kick to make it enjoyable
smiley2.gif

I will do another IM kit in the future...maybe the same or the Green Apple.

Michael,

I also bottled mine last weekend and we are also pleasantly surprised. My friends and co-workers are enjoying it mainly mixed with a little sprite, it really makes a nice cooler!!! I added the extra sugar during primary and it has a nice kick to it. We also are thinking of trying the Green Apple, heard allot of good things about here.

Back