WineXpert Island Mist Black Raspberry Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaco

Reaction score
I am thinking of ordering a Island Mist kit and i am unsure which one to choose? My thoughts are leaning towards the Black Raspberry Merlot, any comments?

If you like semi-sweet cooler type wines, this one will fill the bill. It has a real nice refreshing taste. Good alone. My sister likes it mixed with the Kiwi-Pear Suvignon. Give it a try.
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

I have a Blackberry Cab waiting to be bottledthat I broke all the rules and pushed the envelope with
smiley15.gif
and I hope it pleases my sweetie since shehas decided that the sweet stuff isn't to her liking anymore.

...Bout Time!!!
smiley32.gif

Masta, when you talk about pushing the envelope are you refering to alchohol %? Can you add a little % by adding sugar? If so, what kind and how much? Thanks

Before I tell you the adjustments I need to give the standard disclaimer: All Winexpert Kits are guaranteed by the manufacturer and a reputable retailer like George but if you make modifications you do it at your own risk!

Adding 5 lbs of sugar to any of the Island Mist Kits will bring the ABV to ~12.5% and the sweetest level is the same in the end when you add the F-Pack. Keep in mind that this product is meant to be low alcohol so this type of adjustment may not be to your liking and can be deceiving to the person consuming it as the increased alcohol in covered up by the sweetness.
smiley2.gif

I add 5 lbs of regular granulated sugar to a large pan with a ~gallon of water. Stir well and bring to a boil and hold for 5 mins then cool to room temp then add to the batch makeup before topping up to 23L with water.Edited by: masta

Ive made the Blackberry Cab, The Exotic Fruit White Zin. and have some Green Apple Reisling, Peach Apricot Chard, and Mango Citrus Symphony in my cooler all from trades with my friend. Friday is again his turn to give and he has the Black Raspberry Merlot to offer me which will be getting bottled tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks masta....I will keep theguarentee in mind!!! Since I am really new at this I think the safe bet would be following the directions. I think once I get a little more confident a little more experimentation would be fun.

Flaco, I just tried the Black Raspberry Merlot a few minutes ago and it
is really nice! It is nice as sweet as the other IM's and that makes it
very nice! Of all the ones Ive tried, this and the Green Apple are the
best.

Wade, Thanks for the reply. I have mine in the primary right now and it is bubbling away. I also took a chance and added the sugar to up the alcohol %, from what everyones has said the taste is still the same but with a little kick. I will definietly let everyone know how this one turns out!!!

I also have the IM black raspberry going. I just got done racking itinto the secondary. I just followed the instructions, no added sugar.The S.G. went from 1.050 to 1.001 in 4 days. I only checked the S.G. because the bubbles in the air lock got real slow and Igot curious.

The only one I have made so far is the Green Apple Riseling. I actually made it for the girls my sisters in law and eventually my wife. I wasnt looking forward to it all that much myself, but I have to say I am really pleasently suprised by it, its pretty good, and to be honest I am drinking a glass of it as I write this.

In my opinion these are the best two, theyre both the driest. The next
best ones I would say are the Peach Apricot Chard and the Blackberry
Cab although that is a bit sweeter. The Mango Citrus Symphony is also
very good. The Exotic Fruit could definetely use the higher sugar to
even things out better, a little to sweet but a nice taste.

I thought about giving this brand a try to see how I like it. After learning more about wine making I wrote it off due to the small amount of juice that comes with the kit. I really don't like a light (watery) wine so I have been ordering the biggervolume juicekits.

After reading what everyone has written here I thinking about themonce again. I have got 6 kits to make before I can consider it but I think I will give them a shot.

Thanks, guys.

Edited by: ScubaDon

Must say they are a different wine altogether. If your a big red person
I dont recommend it but if your versatile you will it appreciate it for
what it is and how fast its done.

I enjoy the Green Apple splashed over a little Sprite or 7UP in some crushed ice.

Back