Is too much nutrients possible?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Wondering if adding too much nutrients has any downside? (Ie...trying to prevent cattle farts & ya overdo it)

Cheers!

Possibly.
And it also depends on the nutrient.

The fermentation could become overactive and produce off flavors and aromas.
It may increase volatile acidity.
If it's DAP there might be ethyl carbamate produced which is possibly a carcinogen.

No experience, just stuff I've read.

My bad.....

Using FermaidO
One thing I haven't read is the quantity that puts you into the "too much" category. And that's one experiment I'm not willing to make.

I stopped using DAP very early last year and I need to get some FermaidO. I recently read a wine comparison by Lallemand comparing DAP and FermaidO. Virtually identical ferments and all the tasters preferred the FermaidO batch.

I use fermaid-O exclusively - typically 20g/hL at 3 brix drop, 20g/hL at 1/3 brix drop. So if starting at 24 brix, add at 21 brix and 16 brix (give or take...) I think it only becomes problematic if you add nutrients late and they don't get consumed by the end of primary fermentation.

@BigDaveK , do you have a reference for that DAP vs Fermaid-O comparison?

I had 2 cubes of bakers yeast that were old enough to really slow down a proof. I've started boiling it and using the slurry for nutrient. I am generous with it because I have lots and I really have nothing to gauge it to other than Fermaid O.

My thoughts may be totally misguided, but I figure if the yeast needs nutrient it is there, but if I overdose the bulk of anything not consumed should just fall out of suspension and be discarded when you rack off gross lees.

8 or so batches and multiple wine strains, I can't say I notice anything other than successful fermentation.

I should note, 5 batches are 5 months on the fine lees and no notable off flavors. Fermaid O is also yeast hulls. The exact difference I dunno, but I am using 3 Tbsp of a 1/4 cup of yeast to 1 cup water slurry and feeding 6 gallons 2-3 times. I assume that is aggressive by Fermaid O standards. This was also in kits that already contained nutrient, but I added more because I was using other yeasts and including RC-212 in a couple. There was lot of talk about H2S and 212 at the time.

Latest posts

Back