Is this some kind of disease?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
My neighbor has one single domestic vine for table grapes and noticed all the red bulbous swollen looking things on the ends if some of the leaves. Any ideas? And this has me wondering if I need to be spraying any kind of fungicide/disease co trip spray for my 120 vines this year or just let em be?

image-3833998838.jpg

So just cut off? How does this come to be, and do I need to worry about it for my vines (5 miles away though). Again, should I be starting any kind of a spray program for my "youth" (2 month old) vines now??

It's an insect that lays a larva in there. Squash it to keep them from proliferating, but it's not going to spread on the vine. It will hatch out.

Ok, good to know. So can I squash then on the vine without having to cut the shoot?

Don't worry a lot about them. Sqwish if you can but if it wreck's the vine if you do just leave it alone. Not something you spray for. It may also be some other sort of gall, but in general you see limited damage from them all.

Latest posts

Back