Is there a time limitation on fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soslarry

Junior
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a time limitation on fermentation. I posted in early October on my concern about a stuck fermentation on a barolo and amarone from juice. After restarting according to advice from various members, my barolo started to ferment then petered out in about 4-5 days with little change in the SG. I then tried restarting the amarone with a slight tweek to the process and didn't see much of a change in SG again and saw little visual activity in either wine and then waited for about ! 1/2 wks. and checked the SG again with no change. I was thinking about what to do and 2 hrs. later , I wa sgoing to rack and start the stabilization as I thought there was no other choice. When I went to check the amarone showed visual fermentation(bubbles) and I decided to wait and see. I checked each day for about a week and the amarone was still fermenting as evidence by activity through the airlock. Also about this time the barolo started to do the same and is continuing to ferment as of yesterday. The SG in the amarone and barolo is now .994 and .996 respectively. It is now 3mos. of fermentation. Is there a time limitation on fermentation?

Larry, I would keep the wine under airlock for now. It may be that your wine has begun malolactic fermentation on its own and malic acid in the wine is being converted to lactic acid and CO2.

Like Rocky says, or it is done and degassing. Keep checking the s.g. and if it stays the same, it is probably done. Now, here is a question from me. If the s.g. is down to the 0.994 range and the mlf starts, does the s.g. change? Just wondering. Arne.

Arne, I don't think that the SG would change appreciably. MLF, as I understand it, converts malic acid into lactic acid and CO2. Measurable changes in SG are due to the conversion of sugar into alcohol and CO2.

Arne, I don't think that the SG would change appreciably. MLF, as I understand it, converts malic acid into lactic acid and CO2. Measurable changes in SG are due to the conversion of sugar into alcohol and CO2.

Thanks Rocky, Makes sense. Arne.

If the SG does not change, is it time to stabilize? or should I wait for a period for MLF to complete?.....AND back to my original inquiry....IS there a time limitation on fermentation ? can the wine go bad from fermenting for too long of a period? IF so, how long is this "point of no return"? how would I know?

Larry, definitely wait until the MLF is complete before stabilizing. Adding K-meta during MLF can cause all kinds of problems. Keep the wine under airlock and watch for signs of outgassing, as you were seeing earlier this week. When you don't see any outgassing for a period of, say a two weels, it is probably through MLF and you can stabilize.

As to a time limitation on fermentation, the simple answer is "no, there is not a time limit," meaning a "set time." Fermentation is the process of converting sugar into alcohol and that takes varying amounts of time depending on temperature, yeast, oxygen, etc. Early in the process, oxygen is your friend and later it is you enemy. As long as you have the wine under airlock, it should be fine.

If I were in your situation, I would watch for signs that MLF is complete and when this occurs, rack and stabilize the wines and bulk age them both for a minimum of 9 months, better a year.

Rocky,
Thanks for the info. I've been concerned about this for the last 2 mos. and had not found an answer. I was concerned that I would lose the wine. I'll let you know how things progress.

I agree with Rocky, but with one caveat: too much time where it is partially fermented and without k-meta could result in oxidation of the juice/wine. It's not a fine line, but a wide gray area of wine that is just starting to oxidize (become vinegar-y) and wine that is "past the point of no return" and oxidized too much.

Latest posts

Back