Is it ok to share wine that your pet imbibed first

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

See question in first post of this topic

• Hell yes I would drink it and share it w friends and family

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Hell no, it goes in the garden as compost

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I regularly kiss my cat and or dog on the lips

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Well I wont drink it but its good for my enemies

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
Julie - Hopefully most here are adult enough (despite evidence to the contrary depicted in some of the 'humor') to be able to disagree without getting combative.

Yes I do believe all of you are capable of doing that but sometimes you have that bad day.....

Julie,

I think that this post should go into ...

"what was your dog doing in the winery in the first place"?

:)

LOL, maybe it is the Bow Wow Winery :) Sorry!

Getting away from the home winemaker, lets talk commercial wine makers. With the tons and tons of grapes that they crush you don't think there are "little extras" in their wines. What about bugs, spiders, bird droppings, etc that are in / on the grapes when they are crushed? What about things that happen to find their way into open top tanks that sit outside? Sanitation may get rid of the little fella's but they were once in the must / wine.

Thinking about the misc 'stuff' in tons of grapes, I asked myself this question:
"Does the fact that there is 'stuff' in the must *really* mean I should tolerate -more- *stuff*?"

My answer was, "No."

this post/poll was started because of a post i made about my dogs getting into my primary....

here is the original thread:
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11560

just to update you guys...YES i am continuing to make the batch because i am not even sure that the dogs came into contact with the must, only that they got the lid off and my tshirt covering the bucket was partially submerged in the must.

that being said, fermentation began last night and the wine looks, smells, and is fermenting just as it should.

on a side note, i am even going to use my YEAST SLURRY to make a batch of skeeter pee!

:)

Kirby - You might to read the story about eating dog food. If your dog did get into the your wine, you might develop urges you've never had before. According to the story, these urges can be dangerous ;-)

I don't think I could serve it to someone after my dog drank it.

For you people on here with grape presses, what if you just pressed out 100 gallons of juice. You were cleaning out the grape skins or however you do it, and find a mouse. Would you get rid of the 100 gallons ($$$$) of juice.

"For you people on here with grape presses, what if you just pressed out 100 gallons of juice. You were cleaning out the grape skins or however you do it, and find a mouse. Would you get rid of the 100 gallons ($$$$) of juice."

you asked......my answer .....yes....in .01 seconds and that because i will have blinked first at the shock

I'm feeling sick. I could not drink it myself, and even more so, could not give it to someone else.

"For you people on here with grape presses, what if you just pressed out 100 gallons of juice. You were cleaning out the grape skins or however you do it, and find a mouse. Would you get rid of the 100 gallons ($$$$) of juice."

you asked......my answer .....yes....in .01 seconds and that because i will have blinked first at the shock

That's good to know. I'm afraid a big % of wineries would go ahead and sell the juice or use it for their own wine. That would be a big money hit to throw away that much juice.

Yo-AlFulchino-You-dont-like-our-wine-eh.jpg

Folks, I think we have covered this topic enough. What started as a simple sip or so has almost turned into a bath in the wine and starting to make people ill. IMO

Whatta ya say we put this topic to rest?

Latest posts

Back