Is it ok to share wine that your pet imbibed first

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

See question in first post of this topic

• Hell yes I would drink it and share it w friends and family

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Hell no, it goes in the garden as compost

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I regularly kiss my cat and or dog on the lips

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Well I wont drink it but its good for my enemies

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

AlFulchino

Winemaker of 30+ years
Reaction score
This is an outcrop of another topic i was reading...the question is this...if your pet, let us use cat or dog as the pet in the example, were to stick its mouth in your fermenting or pre-fermented wine would you then feel good about sharing this wine with friends and family?

Yes. Human pathogens do not grow in wine. If they pee'd in it, I would not serve it because it may have too much ammonia odor.:i

Fred

wow...two yes's to my no ( current poll stats while writing this post)

gotta be honest...i would not consider drinking your wine no matter how well raved about ...how in demand it is or how many awards it may have gotten..to me its the principle...because if this is ok to a winemaker then what else to they allow?????

this topic should be 100% throw it in the compost pile

Not to mention in the food we eat: peanut butter; grains such as corn, wheat, oats; milk and dairy products, and on and on. It's all nutritious with minerals and vitamins (sadly no alcohol to kill the germs).

Fred

Like I said in other post to me it's a bigggggg no no also

So Fred, you are lumping dog saliva and whatever was on its mouth a few minutes before in the same group as ..."nutritious with minerals and vitamins"

--------

um...ok........but not for me...sorry :a1

If that bothers you, I advise you to never eat in a restaurant again. I have worked in restaurant kitchens for 28 years and I could tell you all sorts of stories of what can happen to your food.

So Fred, you are lumping dog saliva and whatever was on its mouth a few minutes before in the same group as ..."nutritious with minerals and vitamins"
Just being realistic.

Fred

Sirs...apparently its you and me

Gerard..i have worked at a restaraunt as well...there are GOOD places that what you refer to...does NOT happen

Fred...you are right..you are being realistic...people by and large have gotten used to mediocrity and lowering of standards...they can drink your wine ...not me...sorry

Fred...you are right..you are being realistic...people by and large have gotten used to mediocrity and lowering of standards...they can drink your wine ...not me...sorry

Good. I'll drink your wine then. What have you got that's fully aged? I'll PM you my address.

Fred

Last edited:
for people worried about what goes into your food... how many have worked fast food? i did in high school. there is a reason i dont eat wendys chilli anymore. also i never order mass amounts from them... ever.

In reality my dogs don't even go into my basement. If they did, they are so small they can't even reach the top of a primary (small yorkies). I go in full attack mode as many of you know when I even see a fruit fly.

Last edited:
It is a real shame. I try to do to others as I would like to have done to me. Yet along the line many folks are drawn to the almighty dollar side.

Long ago when I started at a fast food rest. (like all of us) I was taught if the frozen meat patty falls on the floor still use it as the heat will kill the germs. The few that ever did make it to the floor when I was working never made it to the grill folks.

Sunday I stopped at another F.F. place and had a pepsi. It tasted weak and I told the girl. She got me one from the other fountain. It tasted the same. Sorry was all I got. How about here's your money back and my manager is fixing it NOW!

Customer service has really gone way down in many areas. Why bother to keep a customer when we'll get someone else from the other place. It will all work out.

It is a real shame. I try to do to others as I would like to have done to me. Yet along the line many folks are drawn to the almighty dollar side.

Long ago when I started at a fast food rest. (like all of us) I was taught if the frozen meat patty falls on the floor still use it as the heat will kill the germs. The few that ever did make it to the floor when I was working never made it to the grill folks.

Sunday I stopped at another F.F. place and had a pepsi. It tasted weak and I told the girl. She got me one from the other fountain. It tasted the same. Sorry was all I got. How about here's your money back and my manager is fixing it NOW!

Customer service has really gone way down in many areas. Why bother to keep a customer when we'll get someone else from the other place. It will all work out.

This is what happens when people earn next to nothing and do not care about their job. There is simply no incentive for them to do better.

On this note, I have heard many people talk about doing away with tips at restaurants. I could not dis-agree more. You can always tell a waiter that works on tips from one that does not. The one that works on tip usually puts the customer first.

I worked at a root beer stand when I was in HS. The owner who is now a county commissioner would let anything go. He would pick flies out of the hotdog chili and give it a stir. The same with the root beer base. Fruit flies! No problem, just stir em up and let the filter do the work.
I now operate large sheet metal shop and we build guards for machines in the food industry and other types of manufacturing. I can tell you to stay far away from processed meats like bologna etc. The FDA inspector sees a bunch of flies in a vat of meat not a problem if it's less than so many per X amount of pounds. If it's above the limit no problem either just re-grind it and it's good. And that's WITHOUT picking out the flies! What the FDA allows is 1 billion times worse than any dog licking wine in the primary.
As for the wine, I would doubt that the dogs licked it but if I was sure I would probably dump it and start over.

WOW! so currently the votes are 10-2-0-2..i am thoroughly shocked especially based on the comments..people wont eat at certain restaraunts ( which i understand) because of things they have seen...and others have no problem w the dogs in the wine...next thing i will see is people throwing good left overs in the dog bowl and then realizing those were dem damn good ribs and they lean down and eat out of the dog bowl w fido

i am shocked that a winemaker finds this to be ok....shocked! ten of you!!!!!!! wow!

I would bet the average household dog has less mouth bacteria than the average human.

even if you are right..let us say that there is science behind your statement...there is still one flaw in it which you are excusing in two manners

one - the average dog? so you are willing to let the one that is not average..having more bacteria and slime and who knows what...get into your wine and then sharing w others

that is beyond belief....

two - there is a fairness principle involved here that a guest or recipient or customer of your wine should expect...a decency...you are denying them that and in America you are free to do that.....glad i dont for i adhere to an old adage...do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

this poll has been very enlightening to me

I think we're getting way too serious here. All of my posts have been tongue-in-cheek and not intended to evoke passionate opinions one way or the other. Mearly playing devil's advocate.

I do believe my dogs (I have 3) are cleaner and not as slobbery as many, but I would never intentionally serve wine to guests that I thought was contaminated by them. That said, if one of my dogs happened to lap a little must or unfinshed wine I certainly wouldn't dispose of the whole lot. I would just drink it myself. While I don't kiss or allow my dogs to lick me anywhere, they do occasionally sneek a lick to my face afterwhich I wash it off. The world is full of germs and beyond trying to avoid human pathogens (none of which thrive in dogs), I depend upon the body's natural defenses to protect me from disease. I'm sure a lot of dog owners feel the same as I do.

(Notice I have a parrot also).

Fred

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back