interesting/strange question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackpage

Reaction score
I've got an odd question and thought I would see what you guys think?

I'm about to do a larger batch of fruit wine than I usually do (til now I've only done 1 gallon batches and I'm gonna try a 5 gallon batch) the only problem is that until now I have crushed the fruit by hand. I'm not too excited about crushing 30 - 40 pounds of fruit by hand, but I'm also not too excited about spending $300 for a crusher. My husband thought about rigging something up and I didn't like that idea due to sanitation purposes...but then he got the idea to put the fruit through our grinder. I was like "what?!?" and then he explained that it's stainless steel and can be cleaned/sanitized piece by piece and would still crush the fruit well! He has me convinced but I thought I'd see if anyone has any opinions about it or has done the same thing.

What kind of fruit? Is it whole or sliced, does it have pits/seeds (large), stems etc.?

I'm planning on doing blackberry first. I am still hoping to grind the blackberries into a mesh bag so that i can remove the pulp after primary. I probably wouldn't put the stems or anything in with them.

You need not go thru that. Best if you freeze them first, just a few days to help break the cell structure. Then after mixing up some inverted sugar water and nutrients add your blackberries and allow to thaw.

Once thawed add pectic enzyme and allow p.e. to work at least 12 hrs. better 24.

Then add your yeast. The p.e. will eat up the sugar and the fact that the berries were frozen will aid the process. By the time the berries reach 1.020 it will be a mush.

ome do not use mesh bags. I prefer not to. I believe it allows the yeast and p. e. to proliferate throughout easier. I use a sieve to remove the fruit. Place the fruit into a clean bucket, snap on a lid, then unsnap one, turn sideways and allow excess juice to drain back into your primary.

When that's done you may use the berries for a blackberry rose' to extract the last of the flavor out of them. I did this last year and it turned out great.

Watch your tannin as you will pick up a lot from all the millions of tiny seeds.

Freeze them 1st

Then add to straining bag

Make sure you add Pectic Enzyme. This will do the trick.

Most fruit do not need crushing.

Freeze them 1st

Then add to straining bag

Make sure you add Pectic Enzyme. This will do the trick.

Most fruit do not need crushing.

So, Tom, do I do what dj said up a couple of posts...after freezing and add to straining bag do I just make the must like I did before? Add the sugar water and then the acid, yeast nutrient, tannin and Campden tablet...then after 12 hours add the pectic enzyme? Or is it a different order or whatever if they aren't crushed.

Sorry if these seem silly questions...still pretty new at this....this is only my second fruit season! haha

Yes that works. Wait 12-24 hours after adding campton before adding yeast.

Do Not add acid until you test with blackberries,for sure. Acid levels in blackberries vary a lot
Most people add everything and then wait to add yeast next day. It give you time to get a good healthy yeast starter going any way

You shouldn't need any acid with blackberry! If you think it needs some, you can adjust it at bottling time.

NEVER Grind fruit... except maybe apple or pear... without the seeds. You'll get a bitterness that won't go away if you do.

Freezing and thawing really breaks the fruit down.

I like to use my steam juicer too. It works really well on rhubarb. I freeze first, then steam juice! I can put it in clean jars and it seals on it's own.

Elderberries have less "green goo" when steam juicing first!

Debbie

I'm planning on doing blackberry first. I am still hoping to grind the blackberries into a mesh bag so that i can remove the pulp after primary. I probably wouldn't put the stems or anything in with them.

Blackberries are easy !!!
This is a really soft fruit and can easily be mashed with a potato masher.

First freeze them.
When thawing they will easily release some juice. Wait till they are back at room temperature. Then mash them a bit.
Next add pectic enzyme.

Now wait 24 hours this is important:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2011/03/pulpgisten-deel-6-pulpfermenting-part-6.html

Next measure SG and acidity and adjust the pulp accordingly. Do not add more water as is needed to adjust acidity.
This way you will get a full bodied full flavored wine.
As my story shows you: about 3 to 4 days pulp fermenting will be sufficient.

If you are harvesting blackberries yourself read this :
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2010/08/bramen-oogsten-harvesting-blackberries.html

This story will clearly show you why recipes DO NOT WORK.
SG varied from one year to another from 1.035 to 1.045 and acidity from 8 to 10. No way any recipe can cover these changes.

Luc

Latest posts

Back