Mosti Mondiale Impressions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning, I started my Ren. ImpressionsMerlot in my 7.9 gal fermenter. Keeping my fingers crossed (and the thermostat a few degrees cooler) in hopes that it won't overflow. It is pretty full, but looks and smells great, of course. Will add photos later. I keep the primary fermenter in my spare bathroom tub, so the mess wold be contained, but I sure don't want to waste any of that good stuff.

The grape pack tastes great but looks horrible when adding it to the primary.
smiley11.gif
Here's hoping it adds the structure, mouthfeel and tannins that are expected.

I didnt have any problem and I had both the grape pack and the raisin pack in mine.

My Merlot's starting S.G. was 1.100-1.102, before adding the grape pack. Based on my experience with the Red Mt. Cabernet grape pack, which added a significant amount of sugars and raised the S.G. by .020 to .040, I expected the 'Impressions' grape pack to do something similar, although it didn't taste quite as sweet as the cabernet's pack but had a greater mass. However, the S.G. didn't budge either immediately or after a day of being mixed in. My S.G. is now down to 1.080 and accelerating its fall.

Does that sound right? Should I have seen an increase in the S.G. with the grape pack addition? Other than the final alcohol level, which isn't a major concern for me regardless, will it make any difference?

Started my Impressions Amarone last night (2011 vintage) adding the water was a bit tricky. It's 16 liters of juice right? Well I added7 liters of water. It came out over a bit over the 23 lt mark (calibrated 10 gal frementer)I then added the grape pack w/o bag, it was kind of soupy, not as solid as other kits. My starting SG was 1.094, which Ithought was a littlelow as well. Idid add the raisins too.Getting ready to check12 hr. fermentation progressand SG.

Bacci, you diluted it down too much or didnt stir it enough. I never add water blindly and use my hydrometer as my guide just like adding sugar when making a scratch wine. Bart, maybe the grape pack is of the same sg as the juice? I never bother checking sg to see if the grape pack changes it anymore. Usually it doesnt change it much.

All the grapepak kits I've made, only onehas ever gone over 1.094(RJS CS Ripassa). Kitjuicewith measuredwater to 23 LT usuallyconfirms my 6 gal line. Based on the lower SG, I might have gone over but IMO, the "grapepack" is more like a juicepack, even the cap is the same size as the kit's juice bag. The secondary transfer should be interesting, I better have a 1.5 LT bottle handy. Not too worried about it, plus the additional raisinsshould help.

Im now wondering if these kit manufacturers have dropped the starting sg's. I was looking at MM's website and they dont list one but I now RJS does and it has changed! I haven't made any n a few year as I made a whole bunch years ago and I dont drink a lot of wine so they have really lasted but I know for a fact when making them every one was in the 1.112 or a little higher and that was within the range listed. I just looked now and that range has been lowered to 1.095 -1-110 so you are right with range. Back then this would have been pretty low.

With grapepaks, I think kit companies focus onflavors, aromas, tannins more than adding alcohol/sugar levels > 14.5%. Only time will tell on theseMM Impression kits with biggergrapepacks, they may have been just an after thought/trial basis. Will they produce morebody, tannin, color, etc... I do think they are capable of yielding 24.5 LT for extra topping up (without having to add 1 - 2 bottles of commercial wine withother kits).Other than Megoli, which is too pricey, I never considered or intended to make a MM Kit.

Wade, et al, did you have any extra wine aftertransferring to secondary??

I have 4 impression kits waiting to be made and I just looked in one of the amarone kits, no labels. Did the Ren kits stop coming with labels? Wah.

No labels in my Impressions kit. Bacci, it filled up the carboy very nicely but none extra.

ibglowin said:
You traded labels for a huge honkin grape pack!
smiley17.gif

Well, that's a pretty good trade, of course! I'll be interested to read about early "impressions" of the Amarone after using both raisins and GP. That is my plan.

No labelswith my Amarone. Thought I wouldshare my transfer from primary on the newImpressions. First off, I didn't use a bag with theoversized grapepak, I did use asack for the oak chips and put the raisinsin loose.I racked at 1.005 SG from a 10gal fermenter and was worried I had over dulited, butfilled up a 6 gal Better boy right on the nose (along with adding the 2nd oak pack).The color/body/sediment is as dense as I've everexperienced with a kit. Unless you have a small wine press, DEFINITELY use a bag for this grapepak and maybe I'd put the raisins and oak in loose next time around. The whole grapes really plumped up nicely with seeds, skins and stems very plentiful.Ditching the auto siphon midway, Iplanned for theoversized funnel and 1 gal paint strainers bagsto press directly into the carboy and still made a mess. I am concerned that after sediment and oak are left behind on next racking that I might have some serious topping up?? I don't plan to use fining agents, just let clear during bulking aging. Any MM experience with omiting finings?

Yes, I mostly do MM products, and have rarely using any fining agents in the last 3-4 years, except for a few white wines. I didn't use the included Bentonite with my Impressions Merlot that I racked from primary earlier today. With patience - like 6 months to 1 year - and 2-3 rackings, I have had no problem with my reds being the least bit cloudy. I have yet to hear any comments or complaints about hazy or cloudy wine, except when draining the last bottle (from the carboy, that usually has a little sediment at the very end). I don't filter either - I am just careful using the siphon cane, and sometimes I am forced to pour in some sediment/"soupy" juice to 'top-up' the last bottle before corking.

Here is the start of my Barolo.
Beginning SG 1.110Decided to use BOTHraisinsand grape pack.
barolo-20120108-00132.jpg

Waiting for the bubbles of goodness to begin!!!
2012-01-08_13.48.15.jpg

I'm rethinking the virtues of the AllGrape Pack - this Merlot kit was unlike any I have done, and even more difficult than fresh grapes. It was *very* difficult to rack from the primary through the tap and hose because the shredded grape mixture (along with quite a few stems and seeds) that is the AllGrape Pack, kept plugging it up! Almost from the start, with a very full primary bucket, I had to stick my hand down in it to unplug the tap from the inside. A cheesecloth/muslin bag would have been very helpful with this kit/addition; the Red Mt. cabernet kits kept coming to mind as I struggled/cursed for over an hour with this batch. Unless you have a small-ish grape press handy to press out the must, this AllGrape Pack idea needs some fine-tunin'.

After manually unplugging the tap 5-6 times while trying to hold the fermenter up higher to increase the pull of gravity through the hose, I had the carboy about half full, but the primary still looked almost 3/4 full! Feeling in the bucket, there was a lot of pulp, seeds and skins floating around, so I decided to scoop that out but my hands were not effective at grabbing the pulp. So I dug out a sieve from the kitchen (like this one:
images.jpg

and started scooping. Each time I filled the sieve, it took a minute or so to drain the juice out, and then I would press it a little by hand and squeeze out a bunch more juice. Did that about 12 times, each time getting a little less pulp, but it filled my wife's biggest mixing bowl, probably about 1 gallon of semi-pressed pulp, seeds and stems. But that was when I stopped scooping it out, and started racking the last half or so of the primary to the carboy. The tap plugged a couple more times, but as I got close to the bottom of the carboy (last 15% or so), it was basically very soggy, soup-y pulp. So then I stacked the sieve and two funnels (first, wide-mouth to catch the juice from the sieve and second standard size) and poured it from the primary into the sieve and then into the carboy. (I needed at least two more hands - and another one hand to take photos, so I'm afraid I have no 'proof' of this adventure.)

After filling the carboy, which was relatively easy because the bucket was now much lighter, I still had about 2 inches of juice and pulp and sediment (no bentonite used this time so it's all good must) at the bottom and thought I would need a 1.5 liter bottle for overflow/topping-up. Got the bottle ready, and started to pour through the sieve and funnels - but only got about 500 mL before the sieve was totally backed up and draining very slowly. Swapped out the 1.5 L bottle with a big salad dressing bottle that fits a bung and airlock and filled that, with about a glass of murky Merlot left over. The primary bucket had another gallon of pulp seeds and stems when I washed it out in the yard, at least I didn't waste that pulp as it will make good fertilizer/mulch. My wife and I drank the glass (tasty, with *lots* of structure
smiley2.gif
) and I cleaned up this mess of equipment and myself, and was exhausted.

Next time - AllGrape Pack goes in a cheesecloth/muslin bag and this would have been MUCH easier. But that's what keeps it interesting and makes you want to do it all over again, right?

Sounds like its going to make a great wine! If this didn't come with its own bag by all means pick up some cheesecloth or a paint strainer bag at your local hardware store next time.

Seeing Brent's post above, in which he dumped the AllGrape Pack directly into the primary bucket like I did, I wish I had posted a little sooner. I expect he will have the same problems I did.

@ Tony - I will put it on my "Wish List" at FVW, and let you put it on your account. How about that?
smiley2.gif

I am still glad I did this kit, but I wish George would have mentioned the utility of those bags at the same time... It feels better to unfairly shift the blame to someone else, ya know?
smiley18.gif

Bart, There is one with your name on it at FVW, pre-paid. Next time you're in George will give it to you.

Latest posts

Back