I'm starting to get worried...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
I'm starting to get worried...looking around at my "winery", I mean office....there is 25 gallons of various stuff in the works...a Chardonnay, Nebiollo, Trinity Red, two batches of cider, and two beer kits yet to be brewed. Expecting Amazon to deliver two more wine kits this week.

I'm about out of buckets and carboys. Don't have anywhere near enough bottles to put it all in and I want to make more! Is there a point where you guys just naturally slowed down? Or are you all just as crazy about watching stuff bubble as I am?

Ditto on bigger/more containers.

Working on 14 carboys at the moment and in the process of starting to do 15 gallon batches in beer kegs. Just need to pick up my 2nd keg and buy another fermentation container and we will be doing 15 gallons at a crack!

Join the crowd, the carboys just keep mulitipling when they get wet. Just keep getting more carboys and enjoy it.

Ditto on bigger/more containers.

Working on 14 carboys at the moment and in the process of starting to do 15 gallon batches in beer kegs. Just need to pick up my 2nd keg and buy another fermentation container and we will be doing 15 gallons at a crack!

You're kegging wine? To just age? What's that story about? Kegs I could hide out in shop, away from the redhead who already thinks I've lost my mind!

Let's just say that I started the beginning of December with a simple 1 gallon kit. Thinking I would take things slow, and ease into things. NOPE! Going out tomorrow to buy 2 7.5 gallons fermenters, some glass carboys, and I'm planning on building a wine cellar in my basement by adding walls and a ceiling to half my basement! I foresee by next year I'll be looking for a new, bigger house to hold more! Lol

I was hoping there was a 'slow down', too! Already bought a second bucket and carboy last week to get the second batch going.....I started my first batch not even a month ago!! Is it bad I'm looking forward to getting home from vacation (that hasn't even started yet) to start another batch???

I was hoping there was a 'slow down', too! Already bought a second bucket and carboy last week to get the second batch going.....I started my first batch not even a month ago!! Is it bad I'm looking forward to getting home from vacation (that hasn't even started yet) to start another batch???

Welcome to the addiction!:ib Just wait till your on your vacation and you can't wait to get home! My advice is to make sure their all resting peacefully before you leave fi topped off, any needed additives and testing so you can enjoy your time away don't forget the air locks have a great time!

I'm vowing to slow down a next year, however I currently have right at 150 gallons in barrels + carboys from the 2015 harvest.

Just keep saying that every year! My philosophy is if I enjoy something, as long as it doesn't break the bank, I'll enjoy it till I stop enjoying it. Then I'll move on to something else. But considering both my grandfathers made wine......I'd say I was born to do this!

to be honest,::
when I get to many full by to many I mean all carboy full, then that means you are forced to buy more carboy's just to be able to rack, sad but true,
I started only about a year an a half ago, to keep a extra racking carboy I starting with two 5 gallons as of today I have from 6,5 gallon glass carboys to 5 gallon carboys I've been forced by accident, (cough smirk honest faced)
I've ended with 5 gal to 6.5 gal glass carboys I've got 9 glass carboys, and 4 ,1/2 gallon glass carboys and 4,, 1 gal glass carboys, 6 ,, 5 gallon plastic carboys, and 4,, 1 gallon plastic carboys, I gave away a complete bedroom set, to convert that room to my winery room with a commercial 3 basin stainless steel sink with a drain/work space on both ends, an a commercial 8 foot long stainless steel, prep tablet that on each end has a raised work area and two centered work area all with dividers and a shelf that runs the full length of the back of the table with dividers every 16 inches, now this addiction all has ambushed me by total surprise, and after reading many ;post on this subject I find my addition is a very minor addition compared by most on this site, so my best guess is you are on your way to one very nice enjoyable addition.... I have central air, but before this spring I will have a window ac unit in the wine room window with plywood blocking out the rest of the window out, now like I said I with full intent I started with 2 - 5gal carboys so I could rack back an fourth, and not to forget I have 4- 14 gallon food grade ferment barrels and 1- 20 gallon ferment food grade barrel,
so enjoy an embrace your new addiction
god bless you and yours
Richard (HOUND DAWG) :::sm

I'm starting to get worried...looking around at my "winery", I mean office....there is 25 gallons of various stuff in the works...a Chardonnay, Nebiollo, Trinity Red, two batches of cider, and two beer kits yet to be brewed. Expecting Amazon to deliver two more wine kits this week.

I'm about out of buckets and carboys. Don't have anywhere near enough bottles to put it all in and I want to make more! Is there a point where you guys just naturally slowed down? Or are you all just as crazy about watching stuff bubble as I am?

There is no slow down! This is the black hole of hobbies. Nothing can escape its pull, not even light!

Here is my prediction...

start with jugs, buying more and more jugs until..

you see that moving to carboys will save on space and money.
you purchase more and more carboys until...

you see that moving to demijohns will save on space and money.
you purchase more and more demijohns until...

you see that moving to VCSS tanks will save on space and money.
you purchase more and more VCSS tanks until...

you see that moving to BIGGER VCSS tanks will save on space and money. you purchase bigger and bigger VCSS tanks until...

your wife yells "E N O U G H !!!" at which point she plucks you off the event horizon, thus saving you from being crushed..

You're kegging wine? To just age? What's that story about? Kegs I could hide out in shop, away from the redhead who already thinks I've lost my mind!

We are using the kegs as carboys basically. You could use them to age. Just have to watch your levels a little closer as kegs don't have the great shape that a carboy does to eliminate head space naturally.

I am finding kegs for around 50 bucks a piece. Way cheaper than regular stainless containers. They are stainless, take a size 11 bung, very durable, can be vacuum racked, and hold 15.5 gallons. A couple other members here use kegs for 15 gallon batches and love them.

Latest posts

Back