I'll never grill a steak again!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also like green fried tomatoes and hate mushrooms. Try green fried tomatoes topped with grilled shrimp.:br

Just so happens we had shrimp wrapped in bacon on the grill along with them. The first time I had them out they were served with lobster meat on them. At least it said it was lobster. Either way it was pretty good.

If youll never grill a steak again why the heck did you buy a new grill? LOL

A good quality steak only needs a smidge of salt and fresh ground pepper nothing else , why hide the true flavor of a great steak with all them thar sauces .

Jeff

A good quality steak only needs a smidge of salt and fresh ground pepper nothing else , why hide the true flavor of a great steak with all them thar sauces .

Jeff

Jeff you are right on with that. Tonight we went to a friends house who made grilled fillet and salmon. Quite the treat even if I'm not crazy about sea food.

Dan , I have never tried salmon , I`m more of a haddock person myself . Think I might need to get me some salmon and smoke some up on a cedar plank in smoker .

Jeff

I gave blood today, and my iron count was 18.5. I guess the beef tenderloin last night did its job.

Jeff

I agree with you and Dan. My wife always uses steak sauce no matter what the cut is. I just don't unerstand it.

I also agree that a fine steak needs no other seasoning. Properly seared, the flavor of the steak does not need any new embellishment!.

For those of you that hate mushrooms, try the following..

1/4 cup cellery,
1/4 cup onion,
2 lbs sliced mushrooms,
1 clove garlic
1 tblsp butter

saute'

add 4 cups chicken stock

reduce

Wiz the whole thing in either a food processor or a stick blender

return to soup pot, and further reduce

add 1/4 cup cream

season (salt and pepper) to taste.

(home made cream of mushroom soup....... done!)

We just put some montreal steak seasoning on top at the end. It's mostly salt and pepper, but does add a little seasoning.

I don't put sauce on steak. I wouldn't be against letting it marinade in wine, but then again, it's usually marinading in my mouth and stomach in wine anyway!

Take a fat t bone and pour and press rock salt all over it,( a lot) then grill when done wipe off excess salt. This is how they cook Brazilian churrasco, it seals the meat and holds in the juice. It will be the juiciest steak you will ever eat guaranteed.:sm

This is a bastard take on a recipe from cafe' Annie's (Houston, TX) from many years ago. For first timers I always get the "raised" eyebrow -- until they taste it.

1 full size dinner plate will usually accommodate two large ribeyes.

pour about a tablespoonful of oil on a dinner plate and spread it out. Add 1 teaspoonful of minced garlic, 2 teaspoonsful of chili powder and about 1/2 teapsoonful of fresh ground sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Mix this altogether until the oil turns to a nice deep orange/orange-brown. Take two ribeyes and pat dry. Place the steaks on the plates and press down to get the goodies to stick to the steak. Flip the steaks over and do the same thing. Letting them sit any length of time is not necessary but doesn't hurt. I like to get the grill (charcoal) ready before I put the mix together. Take the steaks and put directly on a hot grill and grill as you would your steaks. For me, it is usually about 6 minutes on the first side and 4 or so minutes on the other for a 1" thick steak on a hot grill. For additional steaks make additional dinner plates. It is too much hassel to try to redo the mix in between and the next steaks never turn out as good as the first. Have all the steaks ready to go in their own mix.

my take on steaks

enjoy

Eddie I think you are right on. I always coat my steaks and chicken in olive oil first and then apply seasoning. Let steaks sit at least until they are at room temperature before grilling.

I like mushrooms with onions on steak and pizza but I would never eat a mushroom sandwich or eat them alone.

For the 4th of July we have a big get together and grilled dogs and burgers are always on the menu. After the heat has toned down a bit I like to put fresh asparagus spears, rolled in oil, teriyaki or worchestershire and salt, on the grill along with portabella mushrooms. I always lay the mushrooms cap side down to catch the liquid. I sprinkle a salt and pepper (Tony's) seasoning mix over the mushroom and let them slowly cook. After 15-20 minutes on a med/low fire they have cooked through and I'll slice them up and serve with toothpicks. I swear, half the folks come back every year just for the mushrooms. If'n you never had a grilled portabella mushroom you owe it to yourself to give it a try. I think a key is to let the fire die down and let them cook slowly and retain their moisture (cap side down). I had these when they have been flipped and it aint the same.

Runningwolf -- I've taken a portabella whole and put it on a hamburger bun with the fixins and enjoyed it like prime rib.

Dito

on the grilled portabello sandwich.
I load the hot Fungi with my favorite cheese of the day and eat like a burger on a favorite bun.
Amazing, and did someone mention how well it goes with wine.

I grilled 2 fillets last week and seasoned them with garlic pepper & sea salt. After grilling I topped it with some blue cheese and a sauce I made of blueberries and cider vinegar. Perfect with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. The big mistake I made though was being in too much of a rush and overestimating the time it would take to grill the steaks -- by the time I used the meat thermometer they were more medium well than medium rare.

Back