I'll never grill a steak again!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok,

A grilled steak is a true think of beauty, but try the following. You may never want to grill a steak again. This works well with any type a steak, but I like it with a simply chuck steak....

Bring the steak up to room temperature.

lightly salt and apply a generous coating of fresh black pepper.

Heat pan (good and hot).

Apply about 1 tblsp olive oil to coat pan.

place steak in pan for about 6-8 minutes a side.

remove steak to rest (cover with tin foil)

deglaze pan with red wine. Adde sliced mushrooms, wochestsire sauce, and some re-hydrated porchini mushrooms (with the soaking water).

Reduce sauce by 1/2.

stir in a packet of gnocci (I get them vacu-sealed). The starch from the dumplings thickens the sauce.

Carve steak, gnocci on the side...

YUM!

WellU can try to let a steak marinate overnight in a Cab/Sauv, Then grill..

Does not give the same flavor in the sauce. For this, you need the 'glaze (the brown bits on the bottom of the pan, left over from the steak). That coupled with mushrooms is simply incredable!

Wolfie...

Try a grilled portabello mushroom, roasted red peppers, and fresh mutz on a roll. you can top the whole shebang with a squirt or two of balsamic vinegar. Now that is a nice sandwich!!!!!

Well all I can say about that is I thought I would never eat Green fried Tomatoes and I tried them several weeks ago when we went out to eat and they were fantastic.

The right pan makes all the difference in the world with stove top cooking.

I hardly ever grill anything anymore except for chicken during the week.

Weekends its charcoal to start the base fire and then pecan wood for smoke on any form of meat, fish or fowl. :sm

Thanks John for the recipe. I made it tonight. We never had gnocchi before, it was great!:br

Is this a wine forum or a mushroom forum. When I want food, I call Cathy (My Wife). She makes good stuff. :)

Ive had that before John or at least very similiar. Ive also had and now make grilled Portabella mushroom burgers and love them. I pretty much LOVE all veggies. Some times we make a meal out of just them on the grill. We have a special pan designed for grilling veggies, it has a bunch of holes in the bottom for the flames to get in but the veggies dont all out. I pretty much like a steak done about anyway, Im not a fussy eater at all!

Sounds yummy. What kind of red wine do you use and how much Worcestershire sauce do you add in it? Mmm I love gnocchi! Yum!

I have eaten green eggs in the army, yum. :b

Brings back many memories of food in the service, eggs were always green except for the rare times they were fresh. Seem to recall the Liver always had a green cast to it also!! Plus don't ever forget the SOS. (Sh** on a Shingle) for those not in the service.......

Al

Latest posts

Back