I may be the devil...I do not want to age this wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bulk age for 18 months to 2 years.

I use no sorbate, I use no clarifying agents (other than a light filtration). Bulk aging makes up for this.

JohnT: Did you mean to imply that you do not use sorbate ever (even with addition of a fermentable sugar when backsweetening a still wine) ?

On the flipside, I know some add sorbate to even dry wines, and Jack Keller even recommends it. Though I only sorbate non-sparkling wines backsweetened with a fermentable sugar, and always add k-meta in conjunction with the sorbate.

Like you, I allow time, 12 months minimum, to take care of degassing and clarifying. It is now so much easier to deal with waiting on the wine. I suspect many of us recall our first year and now just shake our head & mumble what was I worrying about !?!

O.K. I am old enough that I do not need to be fooling with a glass carboy. From lifting it to cleaning it! What would you guys recommend? Bulk ageing in BB of ageing in the bottle? Thank you so much for your help:D

Others experiences may differ but I've aged in a BB for up to 18 months and had no off flavors or plastic taste at all.

I have two better bottles that I have aged in for up to 9 months. I like them.

My local h.b.s. has some from the vintage wine shop that in I'm opinion are better. They are cheaper. Thicker plastic so they don't breath as much when lifted and smooth sides easier to clean. Label peelers has them for 20.66. I have aged in them for up to 9 months as well.

JohnT: Did you mean to imply that you do not use sorbate ever (even with addition of a fermentable sugar when backsweetening a still wine) ?

On the flipside, I know some add sorbate to even dry wines, and Jack Keller even recommends it. Though I only sorbate non-sparkling wines backsweetened with a fermentable sugar, and always add k-meta in conjunction with the sorbate.

You are correct. I am saying that I do not use sorbate at all.
Since I do not back-sweeten, and ferment dry, and wait 2 years, and filter, I do not feel the need to use sorbate.

You are correct. I am saying that I do not use sorbate at all.
Since I do not back-sweeten, and ferment dry, and wait 2 years, and filter, I do not feel the need to use sorbate.

Not sorbating a dry still wine is the norm for me too. Just did not want someone to read your post and decide they can backsweeten & skip the sorbate and k-meta.

Not sorbating a dry still wine is the norm for me too. Just did not want someone to read your post and decide they can backsweeten & skip the sorbate and k-meta.

I am not a big fan of sweet wines, so I never had the need to use it.

I do make a port, but the higher APV does the job for me.

Also, It goes without saying that I maintain the proper ppm of SO2 via the use of k-meta.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back