Quantcast

I broke my hydrometer and I'm glad~!

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

wines just fine

Reaction score
I managed to break my hydrometer yesterday. Today I went in to my local BoP and picked up a new one.

What a difference! the new one is WAY easier to read.

I suggest that if any newbies are having trouble reading their hydrometer, it might not be you, look around for a new one.

Last edited:

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I use a thermohydrometer. It has a thermometer on the bottom and hydro on top so you can dual purpose all at once.

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Reaction score
Consider a refractometer !!!

You will need only a drop of juice and reading is instant
and when you have the right one it is temperature corrected !!!

I bought one 2 years ago and now wondered why I did
not do so earlier. Worth every cent.

Luc

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
A thermo-hydro-meterre-fractometer with a multi spectrum bi-lateral-alcohol-reading-thang is what yo need other than that, its just pasin er around wine.!!

Guess if you want to play in Texas, gotta have a fiddle in the band. Or one of those fancy wine measurin thangs! i just mostly look, that tells me!

MN-winer

Reaction score
I got one of these wine starter kit Hydrometer's and its nearly impossible to get readings readings like I hear others getting - like 1.015. I don't see how someone can get readings that accurate. I can get within .01 but thats it. Maybe I need a new one, but at my LHBS they all look alike? Any suggestions on what to look for?

non-grapenut

Fruit Fears Me
Reaction score
I got one of these wine starter kit Hydrometer's and its nearly impossible to get readings readings like I hear others getting - like 1.015. I don't see how someone can get readings that accurate. I can get within .01 but thats it. Maybe I need a new one, but at my LHBS they all look alike? Any suggestions on what to look for?
Yeah! I feel your pain. It's like--tilting your head to one side, squinting one eye closed, tongue on cheek, hoping you don't have too much of a buzz going due to sampling/measuring sg in multiple batches..those lines are not made for far-sighted people. :p

Reaction score
Yeah! I feel your pain. It's like--tilting your head to one side, squinting one eye closed, tongue on cheek, hoping you don't have too much of a buzz going due to sampling/measuring sg in multiple batches..those lines are not made for far-sighted people. :p
lol

i'm farsighted, but i can read mine fine. i just move back 3 feet :h

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
I used to have a magnifying glass when I first started making wine, once I used it to get a close up of the bubbles and dropped it in. When i went to transfer the wine to the secondary it was no longer in the bottom.

I hope you don't believe any of this.:)

Troy

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Reaction score
buy cheater glasses, I did. get old beats the alternative

wines just fine

Reaction score
The one I broke came with my starter kit too. The one I bought is made in France and it says it's for wine and beer. It is so easy to read that you can get readings like that. :b

Last edited:

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Wine 1.001 turned upside down is stil 1.001. it may be the metrics throwing us off.

Latest posts