Hurricane Ike still causing grief

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
I keep telling my self how lucky I am that I had minimal damage. But this is a very far reaching emotional and nerve racking event.

Believe me....I should not complain because of the tradgedy that so many are facing. But the effects trickle down to even the most minute of circumstances.

The traffic is causing extreme stress and fatigue. Trying to be at work and fighting non working traffic lights and spending up to 3 1/2 hours on the road a day getting to and from work.

Some places are still dealing with no electricity and trying to work.

We are all dedicated...... besides the motivation of having to make a living that we are somewhat crabby and tired and down right nasty.

I just try to keep a positive attitude and think that next week is one week closer to getting back to normal.....but then I think of the lines of backed up traffic trying to drive into Galveston for the first time in over a week, only to find that they have absolutly nothing......nothing.....Where do they go, do they have the means to rebuild, are they waiting on FEMA.

I have my daughter living with me for now. Her apartment was so water damaged that everyone had to get outby last weekend.

Life will be back to normal eventually, but for now we have to be patient and help each other.

Trying to bring some cheer is even hard to do.......But keep trying.

We are expecting a cool front and I am going to bottle some mead this weekend and that I am looking forward to.

Thankful to have family and friends!!!!

PS..Wine Helps!!!!
smiley2.gif

Ramona
Edited by: rgecaprock

Things will return to a normal state at some time, but this disaster will be with you for a long time [sorry to say]...We had three floods in a years time [1996-1997] and we are still paying for them....but we try and make the best of things...

Several years ago when Hurricane Katrina hit my area, the storm really turned life upside down for us. Nothing worked for weeks and when the power finally got restored to most of the area, we had to deal with all the traffic from New Orleans, because our area rebounded quicker than New Orleans and people was over here from the city looking for a place to live until the city could get rid of all the floodwater from the busted levees. I know exactly what you are going through rgecaprock.

SM Sorry you had to deal with Katrina. I almost feel guilty posting the post but I just wanted to conveyhow everything is so effected.

Are you in the same general area or did you have to move far away?

Ramona

I know things are rough down there right now Ramona but it will get better.Just sit back relax with a glass of wine read some more Emerson and maybe you can come up with some great philosify from this mess.Anyway best of luck getting back to normal.

rgecaprock said:
SM Sorry you had to deal with Katrina. I almost feel guilty posting the post but I just wanted to conveyhow everything is so effected.

Are you in the same general area or did you have to move far away?

Ramona

Naw, don't worry about feeling guilty, because hurricanes are a pain in the rump for everyone.

I'm still living in the same area that was affected by the storm. I live 40 minutes north of New Orleans and we didn't get flooded, just a lot of wind damage and went without power for almost a month. Good thing I've got good homeowners insurance, because I don't know what I would have done without it.

It is hard to fathom the awesome force of a hurricane! And we complain about a little snow here in the north country!

Back