How to tell if wine has gone bad?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jswo23

Reaction score
I made a kit wine that i've let sit for almost a year now, how can i tell if its bad?
I also made some wine that i've been letting age with wood chips for almost a year as well, are these bad by now or can i add some sulfates and bottle it up?

Give them a smell first, then a taste. If it smells and tastes good to you, rack then add the needed amount of sulfite and bottle up.

Made to the point of finishing the kits instructions? And ready to rather bottle or bulk age? Kits had you add Sulfite during the process so at least it originally had some.
If topped up I'd say you are more than likely good go like blazedup said.
But kits don't account for topping up since they call for bottling so soon. So if you had a decent amount of airspace in your carboy the chances of it still being good drop significantly.

Look at the color, see how it smells, if it passes those hurdles give is a swirl and a taste. The good thing with wine is that it has enough alcohol and is acidic enough that nothing (that I know of) bad will grow in it. So, while it may taste bad, it won’t hurt you.

Latest posts

Back