How to start a siphon safely?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be afraid to suck on your syphon. :s:
If you haven't got a wine thief it's a great way to taste test the progress of your wine. You'll soon learn to recognise if or when things are not going as they should. It's easier to sort out problems if you catch then early. If you catch an H2S problem early you can often get rid of it by vigorous racking and a touch more nutrient.
Better a not so nice taste early than a foul one later.
Taste, spit, rinse your mouth, you'll survive.

Regards to all, Winemanden.

Bellmawr?

Sorry, Though that it was a typo. Where is that? South Jersey?

Five min from the Walt Whitman Bridge and South Phila. So, yes South Jersey. You know that it is a separate state right? :b

Last edited:
One advantage to starting a siphon by mouth is You Been Drinking???? Nope, just suck starting a siphon. Gotta move the wine somehow and the hose overflowed. lol Arne.

I've never been one for having to go to another's driveway for gas or diesel,,,
but living in the country and working on a farm for years, I've done my share of syphoning gas and diesel.
If you get good, you can use your thumb on the tip of the hose and not have to use your mouth, but the hose has to move freely in the gas tank.

I've never been one for having to go to another's driveway for gas or diesel,,,
but living in the country and working on a farm for years, I've done my share of syphoning gas and diesel.
If you get good, you can use your thumb on the tip of the hose and not have to use your mouth, but the hose has to move freely in the gas tank.

I too would appreciate it if you stay out of my driveway. :b

Latest posts

Back