How to remove gas from bottled wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennK

Reaction score
I noticed, after I had bottled, that my wine still has a fair amount of gas in it. Is there a secret as to how I can remove that gas before consumption?

yes you can decant your wine about a hour before you want to drink it.

Or you can pour into a glass, and swirl the wine around for a bit.

Steve

yes you can decant your wine about a hour before you want to drink it.

I figured as much....I've been preping the wine a hour before by inserting the cork screw and shaking it for a period of time to release the gases. Is there a specific/better way to decant the wine?

I figured as much....I've been preping the wine a hour before by inserting the cork screw and shaking it for a period of time to release the gases. Is there a specific/better way to decant the wine?

Nay, that is what I do if I need to decant.

You could also put the wine into jugs, or a carboy if you have 5 gallons of it, with an airlock and let it degass. It would only take a couple weeks.

Have you determined why it's gassy? Did you bottle too early or use old sorbate? It's important to know how this happened so you don't repeat the error.

You could also put the wine into jugs, or a carboy if you have 5 gallons of it, with an airlock and let it degass. It would only take a couple weeks.

Have you determined why it's gassy? Did you bottle too early or use old sorbate? It's important to know how this happened so you don't repeat the error.

Actually it did sit in the carboy for an extended period, which is why it cleared while still maintaining some gas. I can tell by the taste and when I shake the opened bottle the amount of gas is very obvious.

What do you call "an extended period?" It seems you didn't give it enough time to degass on it's own. What kind of wine is this?

You seem resistant to giving any details. Very hard to help you when you try to withold info. Is this a kit wine? Kit wines are different than non-kit wines. You have to degass kits--other wines should be degassed thru bulk aging.

You seem resistant to giving any details. Very hard to help you when you try to withold info. Is this a kit wine? Kit wines are different than non-kit wines. You have to degass kits--other wines should be degassed thru bulk aging.
Not sure what gives you the impression I'm resistant.....as I said already

It's a World vineyard Italian Pinot Grigio. wine kit and I've been making them for years and normally I usually know when there's still gas in my end product, because it's really slow clearing....anyway, it's not a big deal and i was just seeking other opinions on how best to rid the gas before drinking.

Here is another option. Uncork your wine as needed and insert a Vacuvin and pump it 20 times or so. This vacuum will pull out the residual CO2 fairly quickly.

Latest posts

Back