How much wine do you make and why?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoSourGrapes

Junior
Reaction score
I'm planning for the upcoming grape season and discussing with a wine making partner on how much wine we should make;

Weekly consumption
Special occasions
Give away

We are coming up with around 200 bottles each. Just curious with how much others plan on for their annual need.

My plan is to make all I can legally, then I have plenty to give away, and drink too. :D

I agree! 200 gallons or bust!

Out of a 6 gallon batch I give away about 1/3, set back 1/3 to start building on my cellar (still new here) or possibly a competition perhaps (highly unlikely) and 1/3 for me and the hubby. Granted currently most of my batches are DB and variants to they are quick drinkers.

So far this year I've already earmarked for giveaways:

1) My entire batch of Blueberry Candy Cane, as Christmas gifts for our annual company Christmas party.

2) An entire batch (-4 bottles for cellaring) of Strawberry DB with Bacardi backs sweetening.

3) I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be tapped to provide the beverages for my sister's wedding next year. Once that happens it is inevitable that the rest of my family will be hitting me up like this as they already hit me up for free DJs, photo booths, slide show making etc, etc etc. Yes, they are aware I'm a pushover and will do about anything I'm asked.

I would say my it ends up like:

20 gal- Special occasion stuff
57 gal- Giveaways for friends to taste/critique
57 gal- Tribute to The Cellar Goddess
+66 gal- Down The Hatch
200 gal- Total

I started growing muscadine grapes to sell for table use, fallback position, to sell for any use, further fallback position, I had better learn to make wine. So I'm learning to make wine. I have since gotten interested in elderberries and blackberries for winemaking, so I've started growing them also. Things sort of went in a circle. Anyhow, my muscadine production is another year or two from approaching full production, so I'll be making whatever amount of wine can be made with whatever amount of grapes are available/unsold as time goes on. My wine production has been in the 40-50 gallon range the last two years. I could see making a hundred gallons or more in the next year or two, but I don't see much use for a lot more than 100 gallons.

No matter how much I make, I always wish that I had more space, time, and carboys to make more.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Looking at my logs, I have made 108 gallons since January 2014. Looks like I need to spend less time producing and more time drinking.

I make around 40-50 gallons of wine per year most of it is earmarked for long term aging. I plan on making around 40 gallons of grape wine this fall in addition to the 30 gallons I made last fall to start building up my premium cellar.

I'm making 180 bottles worth this year, because that's how much room I have on the racks! :d

I have made 60 gallons since July 2013. This is when I first started in this addictive hobby. I am estimating I will continue to make 50 to 60 gallons per year.

It's so nice to have a community of like-minded folks that make you feel like less of a lush. About 50 gallons of wine/mead/cider in the last 6 months and ZERO beer. Earned a notch back on my belt, too!

Hmmm, interesting question. I didn't start drinking wine on a regular basis till 2010. I started making wine shortly after that, and have only bottled 6 gal. in
2011, 6 gal. in 2012, 18 gal. in 2013, and so far this year, 12 gal., with 5 kits in the wings, and a skeeter pee ready to start this week if time permits.
Why? Consumption and gifts! My wife has liked most of the wine I made so far, and she only drinks it sweet, so I have the green light to increase production to meet her demands. :)

Last edited:
I just started making wine around the beginning of the year. I already have 36 gallons bottled, and 13 more in carboys. No plans on slowing down anytime soon as it seems to disappear really fast. What a fun hobby. so many different recipes and kits to try. My next is a Welch's white and another dry red kit. What to make after that???? To many decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

It just keeps growing!

When I started my first kit I remember telling my local shop I planned on making 3-4 kits a year ... yah well 18 months later I'm ready to bottle batch #22 ... figure that works out to about 550 bottles since some were 10L kits that I only made to 5 gallons and one was a port. Of course only have about 250 in the racks ... consumption and gifts take their toll in a very good way!

So far this year I have bottled, 22 gallons w 24 gallons in the wings. All for consumption. Started doing this about 2 yrs ago and went hard out of the gate.

Currently my production has been near the legal limit. My cellar will hold around 3500 bottles. We consume approx. 500 bottles per year and I am trying to get onto a 5 year rotation. It is working because tonight I'm drinking a nice Shiraz, California 2011, it is only 2-1/4 years old but its the first one I've opened. I started making wine in 2010 and still have a few of the first ones left.

Latest posts

Back